VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who says that TVP (texturized vegetable protein) is not vegetarian. Can someone tell me why? I thought it was made from soy. I know it can be made from other things, like cotton seed, but the kind I buy is guaranteed to be 100% soy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
Marinade? Usually you just rehydrate with boiling water with some soy sauce, then add it to whatever you want...chili, sauce, sloppy Joes, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Marinade? Usually you just rehydrate with boiling water with some soy sauce, then add it to whatever you want...chili, sauce, sloppy Joes, etc.
What she said


A good tip I heard years ago was to add a little oil to the water when you start to cook it - it seems to bring out the flavour of the TVP better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

A good tip I heard years ago was to add a little oil to the water when you start to cook it - it seems to bring out the flavour of the TVP better.
I think that the flavor of dried TVP, which is not all that pleasant, needs disguising rather than bringing out
I rinse it several times and add artificial beef stock or other flavors to it to get rid of the taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ground beef recipe! I'll definitely try that. Before I went veggie, I was using beef bouillion, and that helped a little. No, it does not taste too good on its own.

I've been searching out and collecting vegetarian recipes lately, and some are really scrumptious! I'm addicted to raw cupcakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Stop the nonsense about TVP and start talking about raw cupcakes!
I made chocolate ones. I tried making them full-size, but they fell apart when I tried to eat them...very messy, so I made minis and they were perfect little bite-size treats. Here's where I got the recipe. I didn't ice them, and I used regular dates instead of Medjool.

Raw Chocolate Cupcakes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
you've stepped up in the world by posting that raw cupcake recipe! Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae Queen View Post

I made chocolate ones. I tried making them full-size, but they fell apart when I tried to eat them...very messy, so I made minis and they were perfect little bite-size treats. Here's where I got the recipe. I didn't ice them, and I used regular dates instead of Medjool.

Raw Chocolate Cupcakes
Wow! thanks for that! She has other yummy raw foods I want to try.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top