VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always hated seitan, I don't like the consistency, the taste, the looks of it, so I've always avoided it. Every time I give it a try, I end up grossed out because it seems too much like real meat, like purplish, thin slices of liver or duck. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_%28food%29" target="_blank">This is seitan</a>, right?<br><br>
On the other hand, I've always loved gluten meat. I can make extra-crispy "nuggets", "fish" and chips, stews, etc. But a friend of mine told me they're the same. And according to that Wikipedia article, that's true. Is it? Isn't gluten meat like a white, spongy, chewy block of fake meat that has to be kept frozen (unlike seitan)?<br><br>
I'm very confused. I know they're both made of gluten but are they the same thing prepared differently?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Often the terms are used interchangeably. The word 'seitan' was coined by George Ohsawa to refer to the shoyu-flavored wheat gluten (boiled, I think) used in macrobiotic eating, but nowadays 'seitan' is used for pretty much any similarly textured wheat gluten based product.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
^Yep. Technically, gluten is just the protein in wheat. The wheat-based mock meats could definitely be considered seitan in modern terms, but they're flavored and processed differently than traditional seitan - which, as Dave said, is boiled wheat gluten flavored with shoyu (soy sauce).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts