VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has always cut up vegetables and then throws them in a tupperware full of water. Does this have any negative effect on the veggies? Like, kill off enzymes or lose nutrients. Usually she does it with celery, radishes, carrots and a few others.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not sure it does anything bad to them, I doubt it does, but I don't submerge mine in water, that's rather odd.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, growing up and always seeing it, I thought it was normal. I never did it personally after moving out. I think it keeps air out to keep it fresher. Actually, I do remember asking my mom why she does it, she said it keeps them fresher, but she doesn't know why. I then came up with the theory that it keeps air away from them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i think there is an issue with plastic when it gets heated, especially water bottles. they say the heat lets out toxins from the plastic, which makes sense. but i dont see how it could do harm to veggies unless it got heated.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It keeps them fresh since contact with oxygen causes decay. For example, if you cut up a potato and don't want it to turn brown before you use it, put the pieces in cold water until you are ready to cook it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't think it keeps them any fresher. In fact, some vegetables benefit from allowing air to circulate (thus preventing condensation that would form in a sealed plastic bag). And oxidation that occurs with potatoes is quite a bit different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.