VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cookie recipe I would like to try that calls for molasses. I went to the store to get some and discovered that they have three different kinds - light, blackstrap, and another one, which I can't remember the name of. I've never used molasses before, so I didn't know which one to get. What's the difference and are the different kinds better for different things or is it more a matter of taste? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also use blackstrap.

I was like you when I went to buy molasses for the first time. I had no idea what to buy. I saw the word blackstrap and knew that I had heard that before, so that's what I got.

I found out later that blackstrap molasses are like the "dredges" from when you make molasses.

Apparently though, it's what most people use.

It's all I've ever used and everything comes out good.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I use blackstrap for everything. It's the most nutritious. It does have a strong taste, but it goes well with cookie spices.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also use blackstrap, but I use just a tad less than I did with light molasses because of the flavor. I love the flavor of molasses so I used to add double when I used light, then I doubled the amount with blackstrap and it was way too strong!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

What kind of cookies are they?
They're chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like I should probably get the light molasses, since I tend not to like things with really strong flavors.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
It sounds as if the molasses is sitting in for the typical brown sugar, in which case, I think you made the right decision with the light molasses.

If these were ginger cookies, then I would tell you to use the blackstrap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts