VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for my ignorance, but...

Where does it come from? Animals? Why do so many people say it's bad for you? The internet has done nothing but confuse me... I keep having a sneaking suspicion that it's an animal product... Help please!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Gluten is a plant based protein found in wheat and some other grain products.

It isn't bad for you unless you have an allergy to gluten.

Seitan is nothing but wheat gluten (and seasoning) and it is a great source of vegetarian protein.

11,550 Posts
basically, gluten naturally occurs in some grains (like wheat, rye and barley) and its what makes them gloopy and helps them become stretchy but soft and flexible dough, when they're used to make breads, cakes, etc. (if you ever make bread dough, gluten is the stuff that makes it a nightmare to handle!) its also vital to make seitan, and is in lots of other veggie meats.

gluten is definately vegan- because its a compound that exists inside grains.

the reason its sometimes known as a bad thing, is that some people have coeliac disease, and gluten makes them very ill. some people are also allergic or intollerant to wheat, and eating it makes them very sick, or mildly unwell. for most people its not a problem though.

just like anything, it's probably not a great idea to eat nothing but gluten, but it probabaly won't do you any harm, and don't worry, its vegan.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My grandfather has a gluten allergy - no regular breads (but you can still have potato bread) no coffee, no beer either.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
So is wheat gluten made from whole wheat? I have a medical condition where I might need to cut out whole wheat products (and most healthy things it seems) and I am wondering if I will be able to eat seitan.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

So is wheat gluten made from whole wheat? I have a medical condition where I might need to cut out whole wheat products (and most healthy things it seems) and I am wondering if I will be able to eat seitan.
Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm, which makes up the majority of the kernel (the part that is left after the refinement). So no, it doesn't contain the germ or the bran.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts