VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really into hair accessories these days and I love many of the crafted pieces on etsy. However, I wonder if the feather pieces (I love the way they look) are made of real feathers or fake ones. Are the feathers used in projects like usually fake or real? The peacock ones are really cute right now but I've seen some cute hair pieces with flowers and white feathers, black feathers, etc. I really like them but I'm not sure if they're vegan friendly. I'm gonna ask the owner of each shop but I don't think they will necessarily know either. Is this kind of glue used in making things like this vegan or not? So much to think about its annoying. Help me out! :/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/...passion/42888/

I would strongly recommend not buying anything with feathers. It's a huge trend right now that is responsible for the suffering of a lot of birds, and even if you do get fake feathers it's still increasing the demand for real ones when people see them on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
I agree, this feather trend is very very upsetting. I wish people would think. I would guess the feathers are real. And I agree, not to even use fake feathers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not very good logic. If that's the case then no veg people should ever wear faux leather or faux suede or anything that looks like anything made of animal because people will like the look of it and go buy the real thing. Same with trying to make vegan cakes, cheesecakes, faux meats, etc.

I get what you're saying but it seems incredibly contradictory to like 90 percent of things you own and eat. Idk just my take on that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
I think it's safe to assume anything with feathers is real. Feathers are super cheap, sadly. The person who made it should know. I don't think synthetic feathers are very common..?

I wouldn't worry about the glue, but that's just my opinion. From what I can tell, the use of animal products in most glues is actually fairly rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they are real then damn that sucks. Are there any vegan sources that have really cute hair accessories?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that's what I thought about the glue. I would think fake feathers are cheaper that's why I had the hopeful notion that maybe most of the cheap accessories are made with the fake stuff. The real thing is usually more expensive. Boo. :/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

That's not very good logic. If that's the case then no veg people should ever wear faux leather or faux suede or anything that looks like anything made of animal because people will like the look of it and go buy the real thing. Same with trying to make vegan cakes, cheesecakes, faux meats, etc.

I get what you're saying but it seems incredibly contradictory to like 90 percent of things you own and eat. Idk just my take on that...
Well, when I eat something at a restaurant or give food to my friends everyone knows it's vegan. And I do try to avoid faux leather and fur for the same reason, I don't want to give someone the idea to go out and buy animal products.

Feathers are a huge and popular trend right now that's catching on with a lot of people. I think we need to raise awareness about this issue and discourage people from wearing them, and that's hard to do if you are wearing feather extensions yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

That's not very good logic. If that's the case then no veg people should ever wear faux leather or faux suede or anything that looks like anything made of animal because people will like the look of it and go buy the real thing. Same with trying to make vegan cakes, cheesecakes, faux meats, etc.

I get what you're saying but it seems incredibly contradictory to like 90 percent of things you own and eat. Idk just my take on that...
If I followed your logic than I should announce loudly "it's really tofurkey" with every bite if I'm eating a tofurkey sandwich on my lunch break at work. I have actually thought of this; that's it's personally insulting to me that people assume I'm eating meat or that bagel and "cream cheese" is really cream cheese. But I'm not announcing I'm a vegan with every bite. Or every step. Or every anything.

I get a tiny bit of your point but really, personally I'm not a vegan bulletin board.

It also seems like you want these feather things for your hair for personal decoration. Nothing is wrong with that. But don't compare that to the need that people have to eat or wear shoes etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
If you like the look and color of feathers, maybe you could look for things that are made differently but have a similar appearance. A while back I think someone on this board linked to this etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FunkyLobez

Maybe you could find something similar for hair accessories, or possibly contact someone about getting something custom made. Personally, I would avoid the feathers and try to find something else to fill that particular fashion void.

Edit: You could even get creative and buy hair clips or headbands and then paint feather designs on them. Things like that can be really unique and cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

If I followed your logic than I should announce loudly "it's really tofurkey" with every bite if I'm eating a tofurkey sandwich on my lunch break at work. I have actually thought of this; that's it's personally insulting to me that people assume I'm eating meat or that bagel and "cream cheese" is really cream cheese. But I'm not announcing I'm a vegan with every bite. Or every step. Or every anything.

*I get a tiny bit of your point but really, personally I'm not a vegan bulletin board.*

It also seems like you want these feather things for your hair for personal decoration. Nothing is wrong with that. But don't compare that to the need that people have to eat or wear shoes etc.
*

Well if I find a stance or opinion to be inherently contradictory or hypocritical, I'm going to express my opinion, sorry. To make such a bold statement as faux material contributes to the suffering of animals by making people assume it's the real thing includes a great many things, not just feathers, which was my very valid point. You may only see "a tiny bit" of what I'm saying but that's not going to change the fact that what I'm saying is true - you can apply that statement to lots of things. Even the poster who made that comment herself said she avoids other things similar to it like faux leather, faux suede. My point was exactly what you just said - you can't always ensure that someone sees what you're eating or wearing as vegan, so it's hypocritical to single out one type of material as more detrimental to the welfare of animals unless you're going to transform your life in such a way that everything you eat and wear looks nothing like an animal product. Good luck with that to those who choose that road.

It's not about need vs. Want. I could debate that as well, but that's beside the point. It's just me disagreeing with the logic behind a decision. That's all, you don't have to agree.

I'm already over the feathers, personally. They're really pretty but I've found a bunch of other hair accessories already that aren't made with feathers. Some of them have fake bugs on them though so maybe I'm contributing to the murder of bugs o_O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't understand why anyone would want to look like a bird attacked their head
Lol yeah... Same reason people like leather and fur and such things I guess- it's pretty. The feathers are really hot right now though. Also in some items they provide a vintage look. Poor birdies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

If you like the look and color of feathers, maybe you could look for things that are made differently but have a similar appearance. A while back I think someone on this board linked to this etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FunkyLobez

Maybe you could find something similar for hair accessories, or possibly contact someone about getting something custom made. Personally, I would avoid the feathers and try to find something else to fill that particular fashion void.

Edit: You could even get creative and buy hair clips or headbands and then paint feather designs on them. Things like that can be really unique and cool!
*
Thanks for the suggestions and the links!


Yeah I'm not crafty or artistic what so ever, so I wouldn't even try doing anything along those lines on my own. Lol it's a good idea for those who can, though.

Yeah I love etsy, so many cute things! I've found a lot of feather-free headbands, decorative combs, flowers, etc. There. There's one shop where they sell these headbands with cute designs attached to this wiry material. No feathers! Lol and I'm really into flowers and fruit on my head so yeah ha ha you just have to watch out for materials like silk and such :/

I love etsy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

That's not very good logic. If that's the case then no veg people should ever wear faux leather or faux suede or anything that looks like anything made of animal because people will like the look of it and go buy the real thing. Same with trying to make vegan cakes, cheesecakes, faux meats, etc.

I get what you're saying but it seems incredibly contradictory to like 90 percent of things you own and eat. Idk just my take on that...
Sounds like perfect logic to me. You're just pissy because you want to wear feathery things and stuffs


I avoid all animal faux's. Why would I want to wear something that looks like I'm wearing dead animal skin/fur/hair/feather? Even though it wouldn't be the real thing, I'd still be giving off the impression...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
I wear faux leather shoes a lot. I'm not sure what the alternative is supposed to be. Canvas or athletic shoes aren't appropriate for professional wear. I wouldn't necessarily shun other faux animal products, but I do think it's a great idea to let people know they are fake if you get compliments or are asked about it.

I'm not sure that fake feathers really exist for consumers. At least I haven't seen them. What you might be thinking of fake eagle feathers or something specific like that -- they could be another type of feathers made to imitate eagle feathers, for example. I could be wrong though and imitation feathers might exist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't understand why anyone would want to look like a bird attacked their head
Agreed.

And to Doowahdiddy, I didn't read your long reply. You can have the last word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I'm not sure that fake feathers really exist for consumers. At least I haven't seen them. What you might be thinking of fake eagle feathers or something specific like that -- they could be another type of feathers made to imitate eagle feathers, for example. I could be wrong though and imitation feathers might exist.
Yeh I'm thinking the same thing. I feel certain that I've seen synthetic feathers up close, some years back now, but other than feather hair extensions, I've never known of a company that seems to make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I avoid all animal faux's. Why would I want to wear something that looks like I'm wearing dead animal skin/fur/hair/feather? Even though it wouldn't be the real thing, I'd still be giving off the impression...
Wow, that's got to make veganism hard. What do you wear on your feet? Flip-flops all year or something?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top