VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that if you buy seasonal and local, it's a great way to get plenty of fresh produce at a good price, but there's something I'm wondering...if I go to a local farmer's market, what guarantee is there that the produce will be organic? I know that not EVERYTHING has to be organic (like avocados or onions) but there are some things that I believe must be bought organic (like any type of berries).

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but I know the situation in California, and there is no sure-fire guarantee the produce is organic. Most farmers markets, and the produce vendors who sell at them, are certified by the state. The state is supposed to go to the farms periodically to verify they are growing the things they are selling. The program is underfunded, so there is little of that going on, and there is a financial incentive for farmers to lie about the produce being organic. Earlier this year I heard one of the food writers for the Los Angeles Times estimate that only half the vendors were legit.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTF View Post

I know that if you buy seasonal and local, it's a great way to get plenty of fresh produce at a good price, but there's something I'm wondering...if I go to a local farmer's market, what guarantee is there that the produce will be organic? I know that not EVERYTHING has to be organic (like avocados or onions) but there are some things that I believe must be bought organic (like any type of berries).
Ask the farmer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts