VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im really serious this time about going vegan (and I now have the support too). I have been altrenating every other day with vegan and non vegan items (an attempt to wean me off of cheese and I just cant waste the food that is not vegan as it still meets my veg. ethic standards VES, lol). I have a concern/question about my daily multi vit though....it has D3 in it, and I know some forms of D3 are okay and others are not. on the label it says D3 (as cholecalciferol). Is this good or bad? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, while Im asking, I know that I need to have b12 .....and am I supposed to have omega 3 also? b/c my multi does not. Any other suppliments you think are good would be wonderful. I know I am constantly defficient in something and then when I remember to take a multi daily I guess I am correcting the problem b/c my cravings for everything under the sun go away. Im hoping this will help with cheese....It helped with chocolate, lol.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol is generated in the skin of animals when light energy is absorbed by a precursor molecule 7-dehydrocholesterol.

(To my knowledge, no Vitamin D in the 3 form is Vegan. I could be wrong though. Also, any multivitamin from veganessentials.com would be good. They are formulated for veggies like us, and not too expensive.)

Just ask if you need anything else.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Tropicana insists that the D3 that they use in their orange juice fortified with calcium and vitamin D is actually synthetic. Usually, D3 isn't vegan, though. I'd check with the manufacturer of your multi.

--Fromper

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember reading that D1 is produced in humans by sun exposure, D2 is from plants, and D3 is from animals, but I don't have a source at the moment. If Tropicana claims that their D3 is from plants, maybe it is possible.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Tropicana doesn't say their D3 is plant-based, they say it's "synthetic". (I've called them more than once
) I'd not heard of vegan D3 until it showed up in their OJ a few years ago. Since then, I've seen it in some vitamin that claimed to be suitable for vegans, as well.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Some suggest that vitamin D3 (one of several related chemicals with Vitamin D activity) may be an important pathogenic factor in type 1 diabetes independent of geographical latitude.

pathogenic.

1 : PATHOGENETIC 1

2 : causing or capable of causing disease

- path·o·ge·nic·i·ty /-j&-'ni-s&-tE/ noun

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Just got back from the commissary (grocery) and Tropicana is labeling their Omega 3 "heart healthy" OJ with glycerin and fish... names the fish actually.

Don't know if that's helpful really, but it does suggest that maybe they'd label it?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts