VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to try a dry Indian curry for dinner tonight -- rice, lentils, red onion, tomato, sweet peas, butternut squash, olive oil, garam masala, and some cayenne pepper for warmth. The flavor was fantastic; however, I've decided I'm not a fan of dry curry -- I really like sauce. But here's my predicament: I'm not quite sure how to make a sauce to go with my leftovers because I already have plenty of spice as it is. Should I pick out a recipe and simply omit the spices that are already present in my current dish? If I did that I guess I'd have to stir in the sauce and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before eating it so the spices could infuse the sauce.

Another dilemma I have is that so many curry recipes feature a non-vegan base, like yogurt or butter. I'm not entirely vegan, but I enjoy omitting animal products from my home-cooked meals wherever I can. And I'm really not a big fan of meat and dairy substitutes. What if I took some vegetable stock and thickened it with corn starch? Maybe I could add a TINY bit more garam masala before incorporating the sauce into the dish. Ooh, and maybe I could infuse some bay leaves! This could be a really simple and tasty solution. Hmmm...

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Use coconut milk instead of yogurt, and if you make it from creamed coconut you can make it as thick as you like. (It's cheaper too, just buy a block of creamed coconut and dissolve it in warm water). Use vegan margerine instead of butter
Or oil.

I love dry curry, so can't help you there. Although I wouldn't have used olive oil with a spicey dish. Usuaully if I have a dry curry, I have it with a "wet" curry or lentil dish, and I keep it simple like potato and carrot, potato and mushroom, cauliflower, etc, and then rice or bread. I'm not sure I'd eat one just on it's own with rice, it'd be a bit dry! Indian food is usually served in a way that you eat several dishes -- not the anglicised one-pot (I think anyway, I'm not an expert on indian culture!) -- and I think it's when you do that that dry curries come into their own. My parents used to always cook four or five dishes, a couple of them dry ones, and it was beautiful - but of course a lot of work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does anyone have a really WINNING vegan curry recipe?

I'm having friends around for dinner next week and I would love to be able to say when they've finished, there was no dairy in that wenches! haha

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My generic curry recipe.
Tin of tomatoes with chilli pepper
coconut milk
veggies
beans
spices
or tofu
or peanut butter

Just a general guide I use, nothing that specif it depends on the mood I am in and vegetables on hand for the details. I get creative

1 - 5 of 5 Posts