VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a lentil soup and want to add some fresh spinach (or kale) to it to add some extra nutrients. If the soup has to cook for 40-50 minutes, when should I add the spinach (kale)? In the final ten minutes or so of cooking?

Also, I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste, but which sounds better in a lentil soup... spinach or kale?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
580 Posts
You really don't even need it in there 10 minutes. 3-5 is plenty usually. Just until it softens. Spinach has a milder flavor. If you aren't used to greens, or just starting to develop a taste for them I'd totally do spinach. Otherwise it's really just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well kale and spinach have two totally different cooking times. spinach just needs to be wilted basically, so you can throw the baby leaves in just at the end till wilted, if you are using larger leaves out of a garden, you may want to chop them some.

kale I'd cook longer. chop in strips after rolling a bunch of leaves together. I'd say 20 minutes would be fine. (If you're using chopped frozen kale, it won't need to be that long at all)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's down to preference, but I'd say probally a lot less time than you'd think! I'd give kale 3 min max and spinich about a miniute. (Reading above though, photojess talked about chopping up the kale and the kale I buy from the supermarket is in tiny tiny leaves that wouldn't need chopping, so I imagine they're different and the ones I buy takes a lot less time!).

Another peice of advice is for spinich you'll need loads more than you think because it wilts down so much! I have put a whole big bag in a curry before and got a bit distracted... 5 mins later its dissapeared into a few clumps haha
Goodluck!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
To get the most nutrients add them at the end because the more you cook the more nutrients you lose.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my experience, for most soups, stemming the spinach, chopping it and adding during the last 4 to 5 minutes of the simmer (or boil) had good results and doesn't cook it to much. Certain soups, for instance, soups with pasta (i.e. Italian wedding, chicken (tofu) noodle, etc..) usually want their greens to be softer than the noodles so you would go ahead and just add them at the beginning of the boil. Me, personally, I saute the spinach in olive oil and kosher salt till it perfectly wilted and add it at the end. But I'm quirky like that..

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall View Post

In my experience, for most soups, stemming the spinach, chopping it and adding during the last 4 to 5 minutes of the simmer (or boil) had good results and doesn't cook it to much. Certain soups, for instance, soups with pasta (i.e. Italian wedding, chicken (tofu) noodle, etc..) usually want their greens to be softer than the noodles so you would go ahead and just add them at the beginning of the boil. Me, personally, I saute the spinach in olive oil and kosher salt till it perfectly wilted and add it at the end. But I'm quirky like that..
Same here and I do that with kale as well.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall View Post

Me, personally, I saute the spinach in olive oil and kosher salt till it perfectly wilted and add it at the end. But I'm quirky like that..
That sounds really nice. I think I need to get a bag of spinach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts