VeggieBoards banner

Quebec

46K views 204 replies 56 participants last post by  rvijay17 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#178 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post

Just a region-related note... WTF IS IT WITH HOSPITAL WAIT LINES?!?! I was at emergency for 11.5 hours today for various sprains and even a fracture!!
I couldn't believe that either, but still grateful for Canada's health care. I waited in emergency at McGill for about 10 hours, and finally saw the doctor at 4am..

#182 ·
I just ate lunch at St. Hubert restaurant today (not my choice), and they now have a vegan apple crumble dessert! It's egg-, dairy-, nut- and peanut-free! It seems to be wheat-free as well (the ingredients are listed on the menu), but it doesn't explicitly say that.

So for any of you Quebecers who get dragged to St. Hubert by friends and family, and think you'll only be able to eat salad, there's now another option!

#185 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

Hi Québécois!
My husband is in Quebec on business for the next few days. What should I ask him to bring me home? Are there any yummy vegan treats that aren't exported to the US? Thanks for any ideas.
Green Beaver is a Quebec-based company that makes vegan toiletries, and I'm pretty sure they're not available in the States. I love their unscented deodorant, it actually works!

Maple products are pretty cheap in Quebec, so some maple sugar or maple butter would be a good treat

President's Choice is a ubiquitous food company in Canada, and surprisingly, lots of their food is accidentally vegan. I absolutely ADORE their triple chocolate sandwich cookies. I tried to find a link to it, but the website says that the cookies page will open tomorrow! I'll link to the page tomorrow so you can see the cookies I mean. They really are GOOD.

I don't think the new vegan 70% cocoa Kit Kat and Aero bars are available outside of Canada. I usually avoid Nestle products, but I don't mind indulging occasionally in these vegan Kit Kats and Aero bars. They're just like the usual bars, only made with 70% cocoa chocolate! (There is also a 70% cocoa Coffee Crisp, but it's not vegan). So if you can't get them in the States, I definitely recommend your husband to pick you up a few! You can get them in most Loblaw's or Provigo supermarkets in Quebec.

#186 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Green Beaver is a Quebec-based company that makes vegan toiletries, and I'm pretty sure they're not available in the States. I love their unscented deodorant, it actually works!

Maple products are pretty cheap in Quebec, so some maple sugar or maple butter would be a good treat

President's Choice is a ubiquitous food company in Canada, and surprisingly, lots of their food is accidentally vegan. I absolutely ADORE their triple chocolate sandwich cookies. I tried to find a link to it, but the website says that the cookies page will open tomorrow! I'll link to the page tomorrow so you can see the cookies I mean. They really are GOOD.

I don't think the new vegan 70% cocoa Kit Kat and Aero bars are available outside of Canada. I usually avoid Nestle products, but I don't mind indulging occasionally in these vegan Kit Kats and Aero bars. They're just like the usual bars, only made with 70% cocoa chocolate! (There is also a 70% cocoa Coffee Crisp, but it's not vegan). So if you can't get them in the States, I definitely recommend your husband to pick you up a few! You can get them in most Loblaw's or Provigo supermarkets in Quebec.
Oh thank you Abbey! I'm slightly drooling over thought of the Kit Kats and yes I do have the decency to be slightly ashamed. I will be passing that along with the Green Beaver information to him.

#187 ·
Quote:

Oh thank you Abbey! I'm slightly drooling over thought of the Kit Kats and yes I do have the decency to be slightly ashamed. I will be passing that along with the Green Beaver information to him.
They really are good! In my office, we have a canteen (a bunch of boxes of snacks from Costco and sold for nearly cost), and my evil colleague added a huge box of 70% Kit Kats and 70% Aeros to the canteen about a month ago, so I have to walk past them every day! I'm pretty good, I manage to have only 1 every two weeks. But it's not easy!

#188 ·
He's in Quebec City and just emailed me a picture of the view from his room- so pretty. We're Floridians so he's freezing his poor booty off but says it's really beautiful and everyone is so friendly. It's snowing today which is a novelty for us. Luckily he's traveling with a Canadian because there is no way my darling Florida boy could drive in snow.

#189 ·
Quote:

He's in Quebec City and just emailed me a picture of the view from his room- so pretty. We're Floridians so he's freezing his poor booty off but says it's really beautiful and everyone is so friendly. It's snowing today which is a novelty for us. Luckily he's traveling with a Canadian because there is no way my darling Florida boy could drive in snow.
Oooh, I love Quebec City! My husband is from there, so we drive there 3-4 times a year.

There's a health food store in Place Laurier mall in Quebec City (technically Ste. Foy, but practically part of Quebec City), and I know they carry Green Beaver products (or, they did last time I checked). I'm not sure if your husband will have time to get all the way over there if he's downtown, but I thought I'd let you know, because it's the only health food store I know of in the city. It's also a huge mall, so if he's planning on getting any other things while he's in Quebec, that's the mall to go to!

#195 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhooma View Post

Hi iam from India.on a business trip ..can u suggest some good veg restarant near Kirkland
Hi! bhooma

Montreal is an easy city to get around , and there are many vegetarian restaurants to discover other good choices are italian or indiian restaurants that always have something vegetarian to eat. You may want to look up

le commensal many locations .Well enjoy your stay and good luck

Peace.....vegieman

#200 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian' date='23 May 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1274671965' post='2641469 View Post

The best Vegan place I've been in Montreal is "Aux Vivres" on St. Laurent. http://www.auxvivres.com/ The choice is not huge but their food is amazing. I also liked Bonys a lot. http://www.bonnys.ca/home.htm Their meals are quite original and healthy, though they are vegetarian and not vegan, and they are also pricier.
I agree, Fraisie and I went to Aux Vivres, it was amazing!

#201 ·
Oh! Aux Vivres has the best Thai bowls and an AMAZING BLT made with smoked coconut, on a fresh chapati. So so so good. La Faim du Monde on Saint-Denis always has tasty specials at a very affordable price and Chu Chai is a decadently delicious vegan Thai restaurant also on Saint-Denis. It's more expensive but so worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.