VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I weighed around 47 kg which was pretty bad (I'm 164cm) - I looked all sucked in and bony. Then I left a very stressful workplace, changed anti-depressant medication and became vegetarian. I weighed myself today and with clothes on I'm 61 kgs. What the? I used to eat ****loads of junk food - we're talking 3 Burger King chicken burgers a week, plus my daily chocolate, softdrink and chips - and I never gained weight. I'd been 45-47 kgs since I was about 17.

Did any of you guys out on weight when you started out? I'm not sure if its my diet change, the medication or if i've just put on more muscle (I actually work out now)? Its so confusing. I love the fact that I actually look like a woman now (about time I'm 25 after all), and I HAVE an arse for once, but then I look at all the clothes I've had to chuck out and feel fat and frumpy again. Damn it I'm only an Aust. size 10 but I used to be a 6-8. I don't want to go back to being horribly skinny maybe just 55? *sigh*

I really thought I was intelligent enough to ignore all the super-skinny is better hype, but obviously I'm not

·
Registered
609 Posts
I always put on weight when I start to work out, just before I lose it. I usually go for about a week, I think, before I lose - it's always a cycle. Run a few miles, put on a few pounds. Run a few miles more, lose a few pounds. Then the losing tends to take the place of gaining.

I, too, have been on anti-depressants, and though weight gain is often listed as a side-effect it is not one I've experienced. Keep working out, check out how many calories you're taking in and how many you're burning, and don't stress over it. If you're doing what you need to do to be healthy, you'll be the best you you can be in a size 10 or a size 6, whichever your body was meant for.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
For all the metrically challenged Americans (or just me)

47kg = 104 pounds

164cm = 65 inches (or 5 feet 5 inches)

61kg = 134 pounds

55kg = 121 pounds

(I had to look it up at Metric Conversion For Dummies )

I don't have advice really except to say that - for your height - this is a healthy weight - and well within the normal range. I'm very much against the fat phobia thing - I wouldn't even want to begin to "go there".

Be Happy and content - #1 most important thing

(after that - it all usually just falls into place)

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'm the same size as you (height and current weight). we're not fat. we're perfect. i like my little belly.. and she likes me. if i ever get concerned about weight gain i just cut down on sugar and bread products, but i eat a lot of oil... but its all good oil (mainly extra virgin/cold pressed olive and flax/udos). i'm sure most people would fell "gross" after eating some of my pasta if they saw how much olive oil i used. haha.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Numbers mean jack. If you feel healthy and like the way you look, who cares what number the scale reads? I don't weigh myself at all and am much happier not knowing my weight fluctuations, which previously only distracted me from the fact that I felt and looked good. If the numbers went up, I would feel depressed, even if I had been feeling great about myself until I stepped on the scale. So throw yours out!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by janette

i'm the same size as you (height and current weight). we're not fat. we're perfect. i like my little belly.. and she likes me.
Yeah its weird I was playing with my 'jelly doughnut' [my belly] the other day and a guy friend (who I have a huge crush on
) said it was cute
heehee.

I actually like my body more than I did before. I guess I'm just confused that I'm eating better food and I'm putting on weight a the same time. And yeah I think we are pretty good too, Janette!

BTW I threw the scales out years ago. I only knew because I jumped on the ones at the gym, bad idea.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You might not be meant be be a little twig! So when you started taking care of your body, it became the size it wanted to be. Crazy to think our bodies might not want us all to look like Victoria Secret models, but I do think it happens.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What medication are you on-if you don't mind me asking? I know that paxil is bad for weight gain as a side effect. I'm on effexor and have not had a problem with it, but then again, I guess everyone reacts differently!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayne

What medication are you on-if you don't mind me asking? I know that paxil is bad for weight gain as a side effect. I'm on effexor and have not had a problem with it, but then again, I guess everyone reacts differently!
Cipramil, plus the pill - but I've never had a problem with the pill, so it must be the Cipramil.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Weight lifting (if that's part of your workout) will almost always make you gain weight, but it's good, healthy weight because it's muscle. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.

Don't worry about being where you're at. You're actually at the weight that I'm aiming to get to! I'm at about 160 lbs or about 73 kgs and I'm just as tall as you are!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You could buy a body-fat scale. I just got one and I really like it. I have also started exercising and it is really helpful to me.

My weight has stayed the same despite my diet & exercise program but it is encouraging to see that my body fat percentage has gone down! Even though I have not lost any "weight".

So instead of getting discouraged and quitting I am motivated to stay with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts