VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm going to be having some remodeling done on my house and the workmen will be coming and going while I'm at work.

I have three cats - two of which come and go indoors and out with no problem. I don't care if the workmen let them in or out.

My newest addition is still a kitten whom we don't let outside - and he has not yet had his little visit to the vet *ahem* (planning on this with my Christmas money, not to fear).

I don't have a room I can safely lock him in during the day (workmen need access to bathroom/plumbing/etc. and several other room doors don't latch, etc).

He's a MAJOR escape artist, and I don't think it's fair to ask the workmen to try and watch out for Mr. Houdini while they bring equipment in and out...

So....I have a medium size dog crate/kennel that I'm thinking I'll lock him in for the day while I'm gone. YES!! I KNOW he'll hate it!! But it's only for 8 hours, for about two weeks...he'd have food, water and a small litter-box. It's as big as the cages the Humane Society uses at the pound.

Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions to keep him happier? We're getting him "used" to it now with kitty treats and lots of love and positive reinforcement - hopefully he's not traumatized for life...

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
The crate sounds like a good solution to your predicament.

As for suggestions: Get the spray feliway to spray on the crate and bedding. Catnip and grass. Comfy blankets and fun toys. Play some soft music, and plan where to put the crate based on his personality and mood (seclusion, or center of attention?). And that's great that you're already starting to get him used to it!

·
Registered
0 Posts
no offense, but the laser light thing may not be a good idea. shining laser lights into a cat's eyes is very harmful, and he'll be looking up at it.

just a suggestion..

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I actually had to do this with one of my cats a few years ago....he was bitten by something and I had let him go too long without his rabies booster. So I had to quarantine hime for 10 days...talk about an unhappy cat. He didn't pee for two days. He was born outside so he was a total outside cat. He hated the litter box the most about the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
In the past I have had to keep cats temporarily locked in an area separate from the rest of the house, in a room that did not have a lock. I rigged up my own lock using a chain around the doorknob which looped to a bookcase as the anchor, and a locker lock. Maybe you can try something like this, to give the cat more space during the day?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
If you crate him all day, you better be ready for a wild man when you come home at night!!!!!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

....you better be ready for a wild man when you come home at night!!!!!
Mmmmmm... I already HAVE one of those (even if he DOES live way-far-away right now).

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I think he'll be OK. I had to crate a cat who wasn't using her litterbox. She would have prefered the run of the house when I was out, but she was OK since I let her out when I got home.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I agree it's a good solution to your problem. I would also pull some item of clothing you don't care much about from your closet or from the dirty laundry pile and add it to whatever you put in the crate. Your scent on that item could be another source of comfort for Kitty.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Getting the cat used to a crate is actually a really good thing, we got ours when they were itty bitty (less than 2 weeks old) so they lived in the crate for a long time and now they'll just walk right into it to go to the vet, etc. It's wonderful not having to fight with them about it. Anyway I would get some toys he'll like to play with by himself and have enough to create a 3 day rotation or something like that. The cats I volunteer with like these sparkly ball things and little mice w/ a furry tail filled with catnip they sell at petsmart in the bulk toy bins for like a dollar. A hammoc would be really nice for him too, I've never seen a cat not love them. Sticking cat treats in a toy so he'll have to bat it around to get the treats out is also a good idea.

Most of the cats I voluneer with seem to adjust to the crate pretty quickly so hopefully your little guy won't mind after a few days.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think it's a great solution. I agree w/everyone about putting plenty of his favorite toys, a favorite blanket of his, etc.. in w/him. It's good that you're getting him used to it, too. While he might not like it for a little while, I'd assume he'd be less traumatized (if at all) by the crate then say if he got outside and was hurt or frightened by other animals, or got lost. GL & let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! Catnip is a great idea. I grow several pots of it during the summer just for my kitties, and dry it (what the cats don't destroy). I'll sprinkle some of that in the cage too, he LOVES it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts