VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my little experience today...

OK, I'm a pretty confident, self-assured person, but I still get embarrassed purchasing certain things from the drugstore. Condoms, certain gastrointestinal products, gigantic 80-packs of tampons, etc. Not embarrassed to the point that I won't buy them, but I just try to be discreet.
So I have issues, OK. But anyways...

As some of you know, my husband and I are trying to conceive so I had to go to CVS today to get a pregnancy test. No big deal. I have nothing to be ashamed of -- people have sex all the time, people have babies all the time, yadda yadda yadda. So I get the ClearBlue Easy box, a couple other things I needed, go up to the line, patiently wait my turn (it was busy), the lady rings my stuff up, I pay, and I proceed to walk out.

As luck would have it, as I attempt to walk through the doors, the alarm goes off. (Complete with flashing lights) So I smile sheepishly at the line of 10 people and go back up to the cashier with my bag. I hand it over to her and she proceeds to take everything out one by one and scan it. Hmm, what could it be. The last thing she pulls out is the pg test, and she's like, "A-ha!" but is having some difficulty so while I stand there in front of a growing crowd she is shaking the box, waving it in the air like a wand, passing it back and forth in front of the scanner, slamming it on the counter, etc. (come to think of it, maybe I should have gotten another one -- how do I know she didn't damage it?) Anyways, eventually there is a little beep and it becomes apparent that she has rendered it safe for me to carry out. She drops it back in my bag, I grab the bag, and briskly walk out of the store (sans alarm).

Sheesh. Next time I go into CVS I'll just wear a sign that says, "Hi Everyone. My name is Spa Girl and I may or may not be pregnant!"

Anyone have similar stories? (Please... make me feel less lame)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah I went to buy condoms the other day and the lady takes them and inspects the box like hmmmm what are these then goes to scan them and fumbles the box,,, picks it back up,,relooks for the place to scan them and utters,,, "slippery little things arent they?" So um being annoyed I answer" Yeah they're lubricated" People behind me chuckled but I think the lady was a little horrified at my joke....

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Ahh... the buying of the condoms... such wonderful stories... the first box I ever bought, I told the guy at the counter "you do a price check on these and I will stab you in the eye." Then once I started grocery shopping for myself it was no big deal. Plus, what the hell is there to be embarrased about? I'm gettin' some luvin' and I ain't trying to catch nothing like, you know, kids!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, this isn't quite as bad...my friend is too embarassed to buy bras, so I have to go with her so that I can

1) hold them while she's standing in line to pay

2)give them to the cashier so it looks like I'm the one buying them (she pays me in advance)

3)carry the bag with Victoria's Secret (if we happen to buy them there) so it looks like I bought it

And if there are any guys within 5 miles of the lingerie department, we just walk right past and come back later!

Hehe, she cracks me up!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
whoa.. spa_girl you can not throw in there "oh btw, i MAY be pregnant".

well did you take the test?

i am in no embarassed when i purchase personal items. i have raised my girls the same way. my oldest has no problem walking into a store to buy just tampons. she will even go to the check out with the hot guy. i have even sent my man to get stuff for me. he has no issues with it either. he has said the cashiers look at him weird when all he is buying is tampons or something of the sorts!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I didn't take the test yet. Planning to in the next couple days. It was our first go at it (so to speak) so I'm not totally sure if we did everything at the right time, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Don't worry, I'll let everyone know if it's a +++++!

My husband is not too embarrassed by those things either... I send him out for tampons, too! Good men!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Hahaha. I remember buying condoms when I was about 14 or 15 or so. Of course, at that age, I couldn't think about condoms without thinking about what I might use them for, and as soon as that thought presented itself, I would of course be unable to avoid instantly get an erection. In fact, I think I just always had an erection, all day and all night, but that when I bought condoms, it would start becoming a bigger throbbing erection, and I would have trouble talking, due to changes in breathing rhythm.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
These days, whenever I am behind a woman in the check out line of a supermarket, I always make a point of not looking at what she is buying, just in case she might be embarrassed if she sees me eyeing personal stuff. I think its more considerate to never look at what anyone buys, in any store. If I want to start up a conversation with them, I try some other ploy, rather than use the "I see you bought a (yam, potato, onion, mango, papaya); do you eat lots of produce?" ploy. Otherwise the ploy could go wrong, and I might end up saying "I see you use tampons, my (girl friend, sister, aunt, mother-in-law) uses the keeper."

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SystmDwnGrl

Yeah I went to buy condoms the other day and the lady takes them and inspects the box like hmmmm what are these then goes to scan them and fumbles the box,,, picks it back up,,relooks for the place to scan them and utters,,, "slippery little things arent they?" So um being annoyed I answer" Yeah they're lubricated" People behind me chuckled but I think the lady was a little horrified at my joke....
LMAO!! that's too funny

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
ok, this is actually my husband's story!!! heheheh. it's funny.

while i was in africa, my roommate got a bit weird about my glad rags. None of her bees wax if you asked me, and they were certainly clean as i hand washed them in this crazy harsh african detergent that i got at the grocer. Anyway, i was line drying them and she tossed them out.

I knew that i would have two more periods, and i freaked. I don't like using other products because they're truly gross to me and i get big boils down there during that time because the heat, sweat, and blood being trapped by the plastic lining of those darn sanitary napkinds. TOo much for your to bear? LOL sorry to be so graphic.

Anyway, i cry to sweet hubby who said that he would go right away to the HFS and pick up new ones for me and ship them out that day by Fed Ex to the law school where i'd be able to pick them up in a week or so. So kind!

Well, he goes to the health food store and picks up the ones that i like, and goes to purchase them. WHen he gets to the counter, the lady there (who is really cool) starts to congratulate him on being such a wonderful, caring, open minded young man who understands feminine needs. He says that he's sending them to me in africa and all that--after my last batch was tossed by a roommate.

She called all the ladies in the store (there's about 7) and thyey formed this weird little blessing circle around him for being such a valuable man. They then proceeded to explian to him that he was a woman in many past lives, and in one recent past life a midwife.

He was uncomfortable, but he dealt with it graciously as he could handle!

could you imagine? LOL

·
Registered
0 Posts
I guess I'm on the opposite side of this topic. I love to buy skimpy little thongs then seek out a nervous teenage boy to ring them up for me. Am I evil?

I really don't think I've ever been embarrased to buy anything. Maybe a big honkin dildo, but then again.... why should I care?

BTW, Spa_Girl, good luck on being preggers!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
hehe poor bugger.

mean roommate
did she ever apologize?

i've only sent mine for girly stuff once, he was going anyway and asked if i needed anything so he brought it on himself
bought the wrong ones but oh well they did the trick. he's not easily embarassed. as for condoms, you know how most people sort of slowly make their way to that aisle trying to act like they're browsing? nah, he heads straight there, i can barely keep up, and then loudly says "ok you pick one out this time!" and then carries the box around while we keep shopping.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Oh, I am proud to buy sexy underware. But when it comes to embarssing items, I just try to buy it with a lot of other things so it will get rung up right inbetween a bunch of normal stuff and it won't stick out like a sore thumb. (or like Soilman's well....)

·
Registered
0 Posts
When I thought I was pregnant , I was embarrased to buy the test, so I made sure I handed it to the cashier using my left hand so she would see my wedding ring!!! LOL!!! So stupid. Like because I was married it was OK to be pregnant

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
OK, here's a funny story.

I went shopping with my aunt to this discount drugstore that she rarely had the chance to go to, so she took it as an opportunity to stock up.

Well I was wondering the aisles and found my school teacher (I was 9). I was so excited, I had to introduce her to my aunt. I finally found her and dragged my teacher over. I couldn't understand why they seemed so uncomfortable at the introduction, though now I understand it was bc my aunt was carrying this huge stack of Today Sponges pinned under her chin!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.