1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Puppy gnaws off baby's toes, police in La. say

Parents held on negligence charges

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke to the baby's cries, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital early Sunday.

Police said that they were sleeping on a mattress and that the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the 6-week-old pit bull began chewing on her toes.
The rest, with a picture of the puppy: http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...121306.article

More in depth article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061213/...us/baby_s_toes

Also, if you go to http://www.cnn.com in their little news video section, you can see a video on it. They show the parents and the puppy in the pound.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time - maybe at least an hour," she said.
wtf?? and they were asleep right next to the baby?

something doesn't add up...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Something isn't adding up for me either. When was the last time they fed the puppy? How out of it must they have been to sleep through their baby's screams, especially when the child was right next to them.

Methinks this couple is telling a couple of fibs.

Poor puppy will probably be put down, and the poor child will be scarred for life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hope they don't put the puppy down. It really didn't know what it was doing. Aggressive behavior isn't learned yet at that young age.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

The puppy was way too young to be away from his mom.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Which is probably why the vet said the puppy was trying to nurse.

The parents were sleeping on a mattress and the baby sleeping in an infant seat. (is that a car seat?) hmm. I'm getting images of the house in trainspotting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know puppies have REALLY sharp teeth, but there's just no way to sleep through something like that if they were right next to the baby. They were either on drugs, or not there when it happened. I hope they don't kill the puppy, and that the baby never goes back to those parents.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree that the story sounds fishy.... but....

Am I the only one who wouldn't want ANYTHING in my house that had the potential to do this to my child, no matter how it was treated? I don't like dogs and this story doesn't help one bit.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
He was probably hungry.

What do you think would happen by keeping carnivorous predators in our homes? No matter how much we try to "domesticate" them, the instincts will still be there somewhere.

This is yet another reason to strive to end animal slavery.

11,550 Posts
yeah... i was always under the impression that puppies like to chew on things... hungry or not... thats just what they like to do- chew stuff. hence its not a smart idea to leave a puppy unsupervised around anything you don't want chewed, be it shoes, telephone cables, or babies toes.

i also find it hard to beleive that a normal baby wouldn't object to its toes being chewed on (maybe one with no pain sensitivity might not care, or one with no vocal cords might not scream, but randomness aside, the average baby on the street would definately be very vocal about its dislike of being gnawed on) and that any parent who was present and not passed out cold or completely hammered, might notice the screaming baby, and unless they were complete idiots or total arseholes, would swiftly intervene.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think that it was not ok to leave the baby unsupervised with the puppy - I don't leave my little one alone with my CATS, let alone a hungry puppy. But as for the baby being on the floor in an infant seat - for the first month or so, my baby would only sleep in an infant seat - or on me (not always practical). But we built a screen door to her room, and put the seat just on the other side of that to keep the cats out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post

I know puppies have REALLY sharp teeth, but there's just no way to sleep through something like that if they were right next to the baby. They were either on drugs, or not there when it happened. I hope they don't kill the puppy, and that the baby never goes back to those parents.
Exactly. You cant sleep through that, the baby would be SCREAMING.

I hope the puppy isn't killed, but I think it has someone wanting to adopt it? I think I read that on cnn the other day.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I hope the puppy isn't killed, but I think it has someone wanting to adopt it? I think I read that on cnn the other day.
On the video they said there were lots of calls of people wanting to adopt the puppy. But they said they didn't know what they were going to do since its policy there not to adopt out pit bulls.

The puppy was really cute too.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Am I the only one who wouldn't want ANYTHING in my house that had the potential to do this to my child, no matter how it was treated? I don't like dogs and this story doesn't help one bit.
sigh.

ETA: I can assure you that dogs and kids can get along great. In this news story you have very unresponsible parents and a puppy that was weaned too early and not being supervised properly. It's unfortunate that people would use news stories like this to reinforce their own prejudices against animals, try and look past the stories involving idiot owners.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.