VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, so I know many of you remember my thread about getting a GSD. Well, it would seem now that I have no reason to get a dog, since our fox terrier Taffy is pregnant.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this, but I do know that the father is a black miniature daucshand (sp?) from next door.

I know that I'm keeping at least one of the dogs, but I'm so afraid that the puppies will be born with defects of some kind. And I ca't sell them, for several different reasons. One reason being that I have no idea who they'd be going to, and another reason being no one would buy them because they're mutts.

My dad is being really stupid about the whole thing. See, we got Taffy from my Grandfather, and when she started showing that she ws pregnant, he said that we have to take her back. He doesn't want the puppies, so he's not only going to give my grandfather one dog back that he doesn't have room for, he's trying to give him a pregnant dog that he doesn't have room for!

Honestly, what am I going to do?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
You really need to get your animals desexed. How far along is she? It might be possible to get her an abortion. You can get her spayed at the same time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's at least a month along, possibly longer, but I can't be absolutely sure. I'm not an expert on canine pregnancies. And yes, I know we need to get our animals fixed. Taffy is the first female we've ever had and I guess we kept putting it off because it had never been a concern that we'd end up with a pregnant dog.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
If it were me, I'd have the dog spayed asap, which will abort the puppies. The more puppies that are born, the more living dogs that are euthanized in shelters. It's a hard choice to make, but it's the right thing to do since this dog is your families responsibility right now. Is your other dog fixed?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree - get her to a vet and see if she can be spayed right now. Better the pups are never born, than born into a life of misery at a shelter, or worse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damon? Yes, he was neutered a while back. That's why I know for a fact that he's not the father.

I know that spaying her will abort the puppies, but I really don't want to do that. Abort means kill, and. . .well I just don't want to. I mean, I wouldn't want to decapitate the puppies once they were born. Or shoot them, or anything else. I just don't want to do that.

But then again. . .oh this is what I've been fighting with myself about. Kill the puppies and prevent the problem from ever occuring again. . .or let the puppies be born and then spay her and find good homes for the puppies.

If I kill the puppies, I know that I'll feel horrible. But I don't want to send them to a shelter either. We did get Damon from a shelter when he was a puppy, but not all of them will be treated as well.

Yuck. What a situation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that I should. And I will.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that I cannot leagally drive, and I cannot have her spayed without the premission of at least one of my parents, beacuse I would have to be driven to the Vet's.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Pregnancy isn't the only concern when you don't spay a dog. Every heat cycle a dog goes through increases her chances of getting breast cancer, which you can imagine is especially horrible in dogs considering all the mammary tissue (essentially, their entire chest).

Either way, this will result in dead dogs, whether its unborn ones, or ones that already exist. For each new puppy born that someone adopts, its another dog they're not adopting from a shelter, which is another dead dog.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't want to open up a whole abortion debate, but... they're not puppies yet, they're foetuses.

Isn't it better that you sort this out now before they DO become puppies, and become exposed to what will likely be a (very short, and possibly cruel) life spent in a shelter?

·
Registered
225 Posts
If the puppies are born, you'll also have to get all of them fixed. That starts to be a lot of $$$.

Do you have a low-cost place where you could offer to get the neighbor's dog fixed too? That would prevent this problem for other ppl. The one by me only charges $30 to neuter.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I feel for ya. My family was in the same situation about a year ago. We had a labrador and friends of ours had her brother, they mated (accidently) and she got pregnant. We decided to allow the pregnancy to continue, one was disfigured unfortunately, because of inbreeding I would assume. We kept that one and she is a very healthy and happy dog regardless of her deformity.

Anyway I just wanted to say that maybe you could consider other options besides abortion. Not to say that you should rule it out completley. First I would go see how many puppies you are talking about, is it 2 or 12. That could have a huge impact on your decision. Also I noticed that someone said that if these puppies are born you would be essentially killing one in a shelter somewhere. Maybe you would in theory but not necesarily. What we did was gave our puppies to people who had dogs and loved them but were not really in the market for a new one. Of course they werent people who were completley opposed to one either. We just showed them to friends and family that came over to our house and a lot of people fell in love with one or two and took them home. These were people who were, in all probability, not going to go to a shelter and find a dog if they had not taken one of ours.

I would not reccomend that she have the puppies if you are not positive you could find GOOD homes for them. I turned down my best friend because she is a great person she had no experience with or time for a puppy.

Another thing though, I saw that someone also mentioned that each heat increases trhe risk of cancer, that is very true. Our dog developed breast cancer and died within months of having her babies. So whatever you decide to do, make sure to spay her ASAP!!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAmy View Post

If the puppies are born, you'll also have to get all of them fixed. That starts to be a lot of $$$.
Not if you're irresponsible and give them away unaltered. I don't know very many people who have accidental liters and then take the responsible route of spaying and neutering all of the puppies and finding good homes for them all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How long have you had her? I am sorry if this sounds rude(that's not how it is ment to be) but may I ask why you are/were looking to add another dog to your home when your first dog has not even had basic medical care? Don't you think your energy & money would have been better spent caring for the first dog, having her spayed, and preventing a unnessicary and potentially harmful ("toy" dogs can have greater pregnancy complications, toy dogs have quite a few issues with genetic illness, not to mention the overpopulation issue exc) situation? Once agian not ment to be rude. Did this dog come to you pregnant already? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alrighty then. I've been away for a while and have alot to answer.

No, Taffy did not come to us pregnant. We've had her for at least a year, but I can't remember exactly how long.

Damon, my other dog, has been fixed. Taffy was due to be spayed, and infact, as I just found out by looking in my mother's calendar, had an appointment for five days from now.

I'm not exatly sure what it is that you all would like to hear, but I beleive that abortion is wrong. I would very much like to rule that out as a possibilty once an animal, or human, is pregnant. I do not wish, however, that this be turned into a political debate. So let's end it now, shall we?

She had the puppies two days ago, and they are all doing splendidly. Two boys and one girl, and we have homes planned for two of them already. The female is going to my grandparent's, and one male is going to my aunt Sandy.

We may keep the other male, but I doubt it. If it turns out, however, that we are unable to find a good home for him, we will most definetly keep him. And Taffy will be spayed at the earliest time possible. Since she just had her puppies two days ago, I don't know if RIGHT NOW would be the best time.

My grandparent's wil receive a spayed dog, just as my aunt will recieve a nuetered one.

Any other questions that need answering?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm sorry this accidental pregnancy has taken away your chance for a German shepherd. Good to hear you have homes linned up for the pups.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sorry really. This little guy is proving to be the perfect little puppy. And yes, he's very, very young still, but he's adorable.

He doesn't have a name yet, but I think that I'm going to wait until he's older to name him.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You should wait until the pups are weaned before having her spayed, you don't want them pushing on her underside with an incision there. I usually recommend doing it when the pups are 8 weeks old. I'm glad to hear you are getting them all fixed and this is the end of her lineage.

If you don't like the thought of aborting puppies, then I don't recommend that you ever get a job at a shelter or vet clinic. You often get the choice of killing before they are born or after, but not to save them all. There's just too many.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts