VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I tried making vegan pancakes but w/ pumpkin & then I threw in some chocolate chips. Holy yum right?
Well they came out really flat as a pancake which I thought, what on earth.
Then after numerous over/undercooking of the pancakes I was just perplexed.

Why was the pumpkin still not getting cooked thoroughly, low heat, high heat. Oy vey I kept trying stuff & no such luck.

Is there some type of secret in making pumphin pancakes?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Pumpkin is really dense, so that is probably part of the problem. How much pumpkin did you add?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like maybe a 1/3 c for around 5-6 pancakes. It was canned pumpkin but I never thought of the density factor.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
what jen said. pumpkin is moist and dense.

you could try upping the baking soda/powder in the recipe or decreasing a bit the pumpkin or try making waffles!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Yeah. I use baking powder even in regular pancakes.

Pumpkin sounds really good though. I may do some experimenting.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Nkace: My pancake recipe only uses 1/4 cup of apple sauce for regular pancakes if I recall correctly. I would definitely recommend reducing the amount of pumpkin and increasing the amount of other liquid (like soymilk). Try adding one tablespoon less than 1/4 cup pumpkin and see how they turn out.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Without eggs, your pancakes need some leavening. Sounds like you've already figured this out. I agree with those who said pumpkin is also very dense. I use it as a substitute for applesauce in a lot of baking however, and use the same amount, so I always thought it was fairly similar in density.

In case you're interested, I do have a recipe for pumpkin pancakes, but it uses cornmeal, so it's not quite as "traditional" as many pancake recipes. It is VERY yummy and "autumn-y" though:

1/2 cup canned (or fresh-cooked) puréed pumpkin

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

3/4 cup unbleached or whole wheat flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

3/4 cup plain or vanilla soymilk

Combine the pumpkin with the dry ingredients. Mix water, oil, and soymilk and add to pumpkin mixture. Beat just until smooth. Heat griddle or frying pan and oil lightly. Use about 1/4-cup of batter for each pancake; cook until bubbles appear, then turn. Remove when pancakes are golden and slightly firm to the touch.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Nkace: My pancake recipe only uses 1/4 cup of apple sauce for regular pancakes if I recall correctly. I would definitely recommend reducing the amount of pumpkin and increasing the amount of other liquid (like soymilk). Try adding one tablespoon less than 1/4 cup pumpkin and see how they turn out.
Applesauce? You use applesauce? Hmmm, intetresting.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
^^^Definitely try this one of Froggy's... it turns out perfect every time and the pancakes are sooo YUMMY!

(I may be a bit biased... but still...)

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Sorta ot, but do you have a good (vegan) crepes recipe, TNS? I like pancakes thick and fluffy, but I'm struggling when it comes to thin crepes without eggs. I tried a couple of recipes, but um, yeah, it was a nightmare to say the least. I need to get a better pan I think too.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
:blush: ^^^ thanks... that's high praise considering the crepes I made for you didn't turn out spectacular...

IamJen; I DO have a pretty good crepe recipe, and usually it's very reliable. Of course, I have to FIND that recipe before I can POST it... stay tuned...

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I first read this thread I remembered that I have a recipe in one of my omni cookbooks for pumpkin pancakes. It took a little experimenting to make it vegan. I had to change the measurements and procedure for most of the recipe. (The original required beating egg whites and folding them into the batter.
) This morning I finally came up with an edible result. Let me know what you think.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Warm Cider Syrup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
I like big & fluffy vs. paper thin.
I didn't see any mention of the "Vegan with a Vengeance" pumpkin waffle recipe - that makes great big fluffy pancakes if you don't bother with the waffle iron.

I'm with you in the "big n' fluffy" camp. Even if the recipe doesn't call for baking powder, add it anyway. You'll be assured of great big pancakes. Be sure not to overstir once you add the wet to the dry or they won't rise properly. I also find that a slightly drier batter works well with this approach.

I think I need to go make some pumpkin pancakes now *drool*

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts