VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my. I experimented with some Silk Coconut milk and just made the most glorious pumpkin pie ice cream. As soon as it ripens a little I will take a pic...tastes just like pumpkin pie!!! I'm thinking I will make a batch and pour it into a graham cracker pie shell made with Earth Balance and freeze it for a Pumpkin Chiffon Pie this Thanksgiving. My non-dairy life is awesome!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemom23 View Post

Oh my. I experimented with some Silk Coconut milk and just made the most glorious pumpkin pie ice cream. As soon as it ripens a little I will take a pic...tastes just like pumpkin pie!!! I'm thinking I will make a batch and pour it into a graham cracker pie shell made with Earth Balance and freeze it for a Pumpkin Chiffon Pie this Thanksgiving. My non-dairy life is awesome!!!
Omg. I can has recipie?? This sounds amazing!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 c. Silk coconut milk
¾ c. brown sugar
1 c. cooked, mashed pumpkin
1 ½ t. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, nutmeg to taste.
2 T cornstarch
1 t. vanilla extract

Mix ¼ cup of coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and set aside.

Mix the remaining coconut milk, brown sugar, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the cornstarch slurry. This should make the liquid start to thicken.
Stir in the vanilla.
Strain the mixture through a wire sieve.
Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. (I refrigerated it for a few hours)Freeze according to your ice cream makers instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Perfect! I have been planning to try more vegan dessert recipes and I love the flavors of pumpkin pie. There is some leftover canned pumpkin in my fridge. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
Girl, you are my new best friend. This sounds fantastic!

Aaand... the holidays are approaching and soon you will be able to enjoy the wonders of Silk nog , pumpkin spice, and chocolate peppermint flavors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Girl, you are my new best friend. This sounds fantastic!

Aaand... the holidays are approaching and soon you will be able to enjoy the wonders of Silk nog , pumpkin spice, and chocolate peppermint flavors!
Hahaha...I'm just learning all the cool things I can make without dairy! I was a baker in a restaurant in my younger days so it's fun trying old recipes with new ingredients!
I don't do soy so that is why I used coconut milk. But it's really rich and creamy if you use 2 cups soy creamer and 1 cup soymilk. I'm going to try it with my coconut milk creamer as soon as I restock! l only had enough left for my coffee so I didn't use any in the ice cream. I bet this would be fabulous with the silk nog!!!! Might have to adjust the sugar to account for the sweetness of the nog but I think it would work!!
 

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
Quote:
You can also use arrowroot in place of the cornstarch.
If you're doing ice cream you'll WANT to use arrowroot - corn starch doesn't work well in frozen stuff. Not sure why the recipe would call for it in an ice cream base ...

Tapioca starch works too. A little cheaper than arrowroot, but unfortunately not as easy to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

If you're doing ice cream you'll WANT to use arrowroot - corn starch doesn't work well in frozen stuff. Not sure why the recipe would call for it in an ice cream base ...

Tapioca starch works too. A little cheaper than arrowroot, but unfortunately not as easy to find.
Yes arrowroot is the way to go. I was out so I subbed cornstarch. Comes out fine as long as you strain it. Kinda the same thing as freezing pudding for pudding pops.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top