VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
As simple as it is, I love just canned (or fresh but as a college student canned is MUCH easier) pumpkin mixed with splenda/sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. A dash of soymilk helps consistency sometimes too. It's like yummy puddingy goodness!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
This autumn we've been eating a lot of plain pumpkin, baked in the oven and then served with a little earth balance and freshly ground pepper. Pumpkin is so good on its own.

I also make a yummy pumpkin bread. Pumpkin pie has always been a favorite of mine but I have yet to find a satisfactory vegan pumpkin pie recipe. Believe me, it has been my mission, I've made so many pumpkin pies I'm almost sick of it! Tofu-based pumpkin pies just don't taste right to me but their texture is good. Traditional recipes with soymilk and egg replacer taste good but they don't firm up correctly. Please, if anyone has a good vegan pumpkin pie recipe, share!! I'll try again before pumpkins go out of season!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I have one I posted last year on my recipe blog:

http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/

Oh, it's way down at the bottom of the page or on the "old posts" page... never mind, here it is:

--One 9" unbaked pastry crust

--2 c. solid-pack canned pumpkin (if you use home-cooked pumpkin, drain it for several hours through coffee filters or a cheesecloth so it's more solid)

--3/4 cup soy milk (not non-fat)

--1/4 cup coconut milk

--3/4 c. sugar

--1/4 c. cornstarch

--1 T. molasses or maple syrup

--1 tsp. ground cinnamon

--1 tsp. vanilla

--1/2 tsp. EACH ground ginger, nutmeg and salt (I use 1 Tsp. finely grated fresh ginger)

--1/4 tsp. ground allspice or cloves.

Pour the filling into the pastry and bake 60 minutes, (or longer - until it doesn't look "liquidy") covering the edges with foil if they begin to brown too quickly.

Cool on a rack, then refrigerate overnight before serving.

It definitely needs to sit overnight but it will set up firm and the flavors will blend nicely!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I recently adapted an impossible pumpkin pie (no crust needed). It's amazing!

I'll have to type it since I haven't yet saved it as a file on my computer yet.

So anyway, this pie, pumpkin-apple cider nog, and pumpkin cupcakes are my favorite ways to eat pumpkin.

I used to have a yummy pumpkin soup recipe but I'm not sure where it it, anymore. Hmmm...

KLS - Mmmmm, your cake sounds yummy!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Soup for me.

It's also very yummy in a curry. There are plenty of pumpkin curry recipes online (Thai, Indian, etc). It is even substituted for chicken in some curry recipes by BBC Good Food (when they give a recipe in their magazine, they often tell you how to "make it vegan").

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I really like pumpkin pie
Recently I made vegan pumpkin pie for the first time, it was pretty good. My aunt even asked for the recipe, but I don't think she ever tried to make it. Maybe the tofu put her off?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I love pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cookies, and I like putting a spoonful of canned pumpkin into my oatmeal with pumpkin pie type spices and it tastes like PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL!! yum-yum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.