VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you take public transportation? what kind? do you like it? I take the train to work/school, and then from the trainstation i take the bus home. It takes me about half and hour to get to school and then half an hour back, it used to take me over an hour to get to school when I had to take the bus all the way from my house to downtown.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I live in a little town with no trains and a bad bus route. The bus comes into town at 6am, 8am then the next bus isn't till 3pm. then the last bus into town is at 5:30 so if you want to stay in the city longer then that you need a car. Which I dont have so I have to rely on freinds and family who do have a car or take the bus. The bus is good, if it came into my little town more.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is one area where Asia rocks. My husband and I rely almost exclusively on public transportation (bus and subway). I've lived here for four years without a car, and have no intention of getting one while on this side of the world. Public transportation is convenient and better for both the environment and our wallets. Plus, whenever we do need access to a vehicle (rarely more than once every couple of weeks), taxis are cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Where are you again? Korea?

Portland is absolutely possible to get by without a car, but cumbersome on the weekends if you want to go anywhere outside of close-in-to-downtown. That said, I love living in a city where I walk to work every day.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I tend to ride my bike, but when not, I rely on buses a lot. Unfortunately, where I'm from, buses can be get really full and are not very frequent. That said, I've got no major complaints, especially since I can always walk home (last resort) and taxis are quite cheap. I do wish we had a train or a tram going through town, I really like commuting by train.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
public transportation in my city isn't even owned by the city. Our local university has a shuttle for students that live with in 1 mile of campus and rents out extra buses/vans to the city for public transportation. No bus runs by my place of work, and not the hours I work. I'm close enough to walk to most stores but if I wasn't there wouldn't be public transportation to take me.

·
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, i feel really lucky. i can get to my best friends houses, downtown, school, shopping, vegan resturants, up till like 3am. and then the train only stops for an hour and starts up again at 4:30.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

wow, i feel really lucky. i can get to my best friends houses, downtown, school, shopping, vegan resturants, up till like 3am. and then the train only stops for an hour and starts up again at 4:30.
yeah you are very lucky. we so need a better bus system in this town! ours is annoying.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I catch the train to work. Occasional local buses or else it's walk or ride my bike. I do not own a car. I spend on average 3 to 3 1/2 hours per day on the train and it's a half hour walk to the station. I hate, loathe and detest it, public transport here is just awful. Sydney has a pretty awesome public transport system but to and from there just sucks. Cityrail (aka ****tyrail) has been going downhill at a gallop.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I use the metro to get into town and often for getting between friends' houses. But it stops at 11pm ish which is a pain. And it can be really expensive. Going into town and back yesterday, because I went yesterday, would have cost me £4.20 if I had had enough change on me to get a return ticket. Since I didn't, it cost me about £5 and change.

·
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and I get to take all the public transportation here for free, because of my college ID. Trains, buses, buses to out of town, etc.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
No such thing as public transportation where I am. I've used the metro/subway on two separate occasions while I was on vacation (DC and Toronto) and it was a highlight of my trip.
I've never been on an actual public bus.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We moved to the UK to get away from Louisiana and now we own no car and walk everywhere. We lived further out last year so took the bus when we had groceries, but now we live in the heart of town centre and don't need the bus.

so...in town--walk. This includes walk to work, shops etc

To get to neighbouring towns--bus or train.

To get to London--train.

This would never have been posible in Louisiana with busses running 4 times a day.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

This would never have been posible in Louisiana with busses running 4 times a day.
Sounds like you're in a great location now. Where I live, I think we have one of those 4 times a day systems. It doesn't come anywhere near my house. I carpool to work on the days I cannot work from home.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Sydney has a pretty awesome public transport system but to and from there just sucks. Cityrail (aka ****tyrail) has been going downhill at a gallop.
I miss it, canceled/late trains & all. I've never lived in a city with such an amazing transport system, where I could get anywhere I wanted to via train/bus. New York & London are probably similar, I suppose.

I miss Sydney.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I miss it, canceled/late trains & all. I've never lived in a city with such an amazing transport system, where I could get anywhere I wanted to via train/bus. New York & London are probably similar, I suppose.

I miss Sydney.
Sydney is good, yes, but intercity is not nearly as good as it used to be. They've made big changes since you left, and not for the better. For example they have ceased to fix broken toilets on country trains, they just lock them and leave them. I miss Sydney's public transport too. (Don't miss Sydney, work there half the week!
)

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I've loved public transportation for as long as I can remember. I enjoy driving on long trips, but for the day to day stuff..pah. I've had a wide variety of experiences with PT however.

Transportation here is sufficient, but not great. Late night returns from London are troublesome, and very early morning trips anywhere are virtually impossible without the use of a taxi.

In Chicago, it was much easier not to have a car. Aside from occasional trips to get something large at the store, I never had any trouble. Bus to work, train downtown, walk to the market, etc. I love love loved it.

In Michigan, it was a bit trickier, but I again, lived right near the city, so I could walk to most places, and had my folks nearby in case of some urgent need.

At university, I started out carless, but ending up caving in after trying to commute to the city from suburbia (for work).

I'm not planning on doing a lot of driving here, but in the states, I really dug the car-sharing schemes that were popping up all over (I think there are some in Denver, even). You can rent a car for a couple of hours and not have to worry about gas or license plate tax or insurance or any of that crap.

and...fwiw, Kenickie. I would suggest editing the personal info out of your op. Your picture combined with knowing what bus routes you take each day = good information for the freaks. ((shudder))

1 - 20 of 51 Posts