1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I've always been confused by ex-vegetarians and their supposed health issues... Personally I experienced a drastic improvement in my health when I kicked the animal fat. Especially with the growing body of evidence showing so many other people have had the same experience I do it makes me wonder. How can there be so many people on one side claiming a vast improvement in health and so many other people saying they had issues?

I sometimes wonder if these people who claimed to feel weak were actually starving themselves on a diet of lettuce and celery. Of course if you eat like crap you're going to feel sick! That doesn't seem like a good reason to go back to something you were ethically opposed to 5 minutes ago... Why not take the 10 seconds to Google vegetarian nutrition and find out how to eat a more balanced diet?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Wasn't the point of the one article that black women are generally perceived as being less attractive? Which, BTW, I suspect is true, in American society at least, where blondes are peddled as being the epitome of feminine beauty.

And, if you read the other article, the title is misleading. I think there's truth in his premise, which is that people tend to believe what they need to to get through tough times.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Wasn't the point of the one article that black women are generally perceived as being less attractive? Which, BTW, I suspect is true, in American society at least, where blondes are peddled as being the epitome of feminine beauty.
That's what I thought too. It was about perceived attractiveness. If you think about it, the black women that society deem attractive have very "white" features (lighter skin, dyed blonde and straightened hair, narrower noses, lighter eyes, etc.) It's a shame

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
What I see from that graph, is that 35% go back to omni for health reasons. That leaves 65% that revert to omni for non-health related reasons, ie hassle, social etc.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

That's what I thought too. It was about perceived attractiveness. If you think about it, the black women that society deem attractive have very "white" features (lighter skin, dyed blonde and straightened hair, narrower noses, lighter eyes, etc.) It's a shame
Ive always thought black women were so beautiful. I used to like watching Miss Universe, it was cool seeing all those different types of women.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Others began to resent the time it took to prepare meatless dishes.
This also from the article. I remember as an omni food taking ages to prepare and all that gross packaging and washing icky boards. It also takes longer and can be hard to cook omni food properly. So much quicker with vegetables.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It takes me like a minute to make a peanut butter sandwich, if I'm lazy and don't wanna cook. Incredibly weak cop outs all around.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

This also from the article. I remember as an omni food taking ages to prepare and all that gross packaging and washing icky boards. It also takes longer and can be hard to cook omni food properly. So much quicker with vegetables.
Plus, you can eat as much cake batter as you want (vegan specific reward.;p).

I remember when I read about Natalie Portman going back to vegetarian because she was craving cookies and cakes. I tweeted her a link to Allison's Gourmet. I swear, it's only being in another country that saves me from gluttony. I'm bad enough with Graze and their dark-chocolate-coated cocoa beans.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Ive always thought black women were so beautiful. I used to like watching Miss Universe, it was cool seeing all those different types of women.
But I also find the blonde hair/big breasts/blue eyes standard of beauty to be incredibly boring.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
One problem with surveys about 'vegetarians' is that HOW the question is worded will change the results. Surveys that ask 'are you a vegetarian?', 'do you always eat vegetarian food?', and 'do you never eat meat' end up with different results. Plus 'ex-vegetarian' is meaningless without quantification of length of time spent as a vegetarian. A graph of the data set would be interesting, a mathematical average would be useless. If large numbers of people give up the diet after say 5 years that is disconcerting; if after 5 weeks - well, I would expect as much.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

One problem with surveys about 'vegetarians' is that HOW the question is worded will change the results. Surveys that ask 'are you a vegetarian?', 'do you always eat vegetarian food?', and 'do you never eat meat' end up with different results. Plus 'ex-vegetarian' is meaningless without quantification of length of time spent as a vegetarian. A graph of the data set would be interesting, a mathematical average would be useless. If large numbers of people give up the diet after say 5 years that is disconcerting; if after 5 weeks - well, I would expect as much.
Exactly.
I have a friend who regularly eats disgusting things like raw beef. For a short time she was too poor to afford anything but ramen.....her vegetarian period. Once she could afford regular food again she was back to eating meat. Now she tells people she used to be a vegetarian.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
for a short time she was too poor to afford anything but ramen
ramenism!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Regarding the "atheists turning to God in a crisis" thing, here's one part of the idiocy behind it. It's a very different thing to want to believe in someone who will save you from some impending doom vs. actually believing in that someone. I suspect that this is the crucial distinction which is not being made here. It's possibly/probably true that many atheists start "praying" and asking God to help them when they think they're about to die or something's going to seriously harm them. This doesn't mean that they actually believe in that God, but it's rather a response to the stress; it's out of desperation and feeling completely helpless about a situation.

Once the situation ends, you'd still be left with an atheist, unless of course the situation was sufficiently stressful enough so as to convince one that he/she was saved by God, either through hallucination or some kind of conversion experience. The likelihood of that would, I'd say, depend on how that individual came to be an atheist. If the individual was atheist by default, and these matters were not ones he/she'd ever given much thought, that would make it more likely. If that individual became an atheist through their own struggles with their faith, or through resisting attempts to be converted, etc. then I'd say it's less likely.

I myself became an atheist through my own struggle with my faith, and I don't think anything that happens to me from now until my death could convert me back. Hitchens would be an example of someone who never believed and was told he should, and it didn't work. You won't be seeing him turn to God, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

ramenism!
Heehee.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Regarding the "atheists turning to God in a crisis" thing, here's one part of the idiocy behind it. It's a very different thing to want to believe in someone who will save you from some impending doom vs. actually believing in that someone. I suspect that this is the crucial distinction which is not being made here. It's possibly/probably true that many atheists start "praying" and asking God to help them when they think they're about to die or something's going to seriously harm them. This doesn't mean that they actually believe in that God, but it's rather a response to the stress; it's out of desperation and feeling completely helpless about a situation.
I agree with this, there's a difference between helpless mental flailing and actual belief in a supernatural entity

Whenever I get myself into big trouble I usually have some panicky thoughts along the lines of "Oh please oh please oh please don't let this happen!" but I'm not talking to God or anything, it's more like I'm wishing really hard or maybe praying to myself. When you've run out of things you can do thinking is all you have, and even if it's futile it's still satisfying to feel like you are doing something and focusing your thoughts rather than just freaking out in a directionless manner.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts