VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name's Jessica, and I love Disney, and I've loved animals my entire life as well. I've always seen them as equal to people, and thought others felt the same way. I'm still young (I'm a Freshman in High School), but as I'm getting older I'm beginning to see the cold truths of the world for non-human animals. It's shocking to me that people look down on animals and treat them as less than equals. I've had cats my whole life, and throughout my childhood, I'd wanted a dog, but my mom didn't allow me to get one until I was 12 and had researched dogs from the time I could read so I could take care of it well. My dog was from a caring home that quizzed me thoroughly before letting me even come see him, and then the owner watched me interact with him for a while. She was a caring owner who didn't want to take their dog to a pound. I named him Frank, after the Pug in Men in Black.

A few months ago, I found a Rottweiler in the abandoned house's backyard right nextdoor. She whined to me through the fence, and when I went up to her I saw that she had a small puppy nursing from her. We helped her, went over, and gave her some food, and I discovered the dog was severely underfed, and her bones were sticking out. We called animal control to take care of them, and they came and took them(our shelter is a large, no-kill shelter, luckily) and I discovered I loved helping animals. In late March, my godmother found a stray cocker spaniel golden retriever mix. She loves animals and is a cat fanatic, but felt like she couldn't take good enough care of a dog with her cats and feral cats that she looked after. So I talked to her and she spayed the dog and got her shots and everything and gave it to us so it wouldn't be from the pound. I named her Lady, after the cocker spaniel from Lady and the Tramp. Getting a dog from the street has made me even more passionate about animals and helping them. I would now like to be veterinarian.

On Friday, I just decided I wanted to be a vegetarian. Pigs were my favorite animal when I was little, and I didn't eat anything that had pig at all. I was raised in a society, though, that teaches farm animals live wonderful, happy lives, and humans were meant to eat them. When I got older, I did hear a bit about the torture animals receive, though I didn't really know a lot about it, and I thought it was only a few small places that did that. I also didn't understand the extent of the torture animals endure. Recently, however, I've been having trouble eating meat. Even if animals were treated fairly, I couldn't stand thinking I was eating an animal.

So on Friday, I was inspired out of the blue to switch completely, and in my research I found the PETA Vegetarian Starter Kit and found the video "Meet your Meat". Normally, I don't watch these things, because it seems like a lot of them are more viewed for human entertainment than people actually interested in vegetarianism in this society of horror films and the crazy videos of YouTube. However, seeing this video from a trusted website, and it really seemed to be made for people who love animals and are interested in switching lifestyles, I watched it and refused to take my eyes from the screen. I felt like I needed to watch it as an animal lover as well. It was really an inspiring, yet disturbing video. I want to help animals more than ever, and I really want to live a vegan lifestyle. Before, I just wanted to be lacto vegetarian, because when I was young I went to a local farm and saw them milk a cow. The animal didn't seem to suffer at all. After seeing "Meet Your Meat", I realized that many large, main companies don't treat cows with the respect all living creatures deserve. Also, I never thought about it, but I understand now that cows need to have a baby to produce milk, and that the babies suffer and are killed as well. I ate a pasta since then and then I realized the sauce was made with cheese, and thought about the baby cows that were killed, and the mothers that suffered. I feel so terrible. I also feel guilty for eating meat and dairy the past 15 years.

I haven't told my mother about my choice yet, but I'm not ashamed of becoming a vegetarian. I just want her to take me seriously, and not think this is a phase, so I think when she realizes what I'm doing, and how serious I am, she'll understand better than if I just say one day that I want to be vegan. I told my friends about my choice, and they didn't really say much, except one who was actually interested and supportive. I wish the rest were more supportive, but I realize they just might not understand, and I'm still proud to be becoming a vegetarian.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi Jessica! Welcome to Veggieboards

Congratulations on choosing to be vegan. There is a lot of information in the forums (including how best to deal with parents
), and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Hi Jessica! Welcome to Veggieboards

Congratulations on choosing to be vegan. There is a lot of information in the forums (including how best to deal with parents
), and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Thank you so much! I actually found this forum by searching for information about telling parents about becoming vegetarian or vegan on Google. =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

You definitely have our support.
Welcome to the boards.

Your dogs are adorable!
Thank you! That's great to hear! Even if I was ridiculed for it, I would still be doing the same thing, but knowing that I'm not alone and I have kind, friendly people to support me is comforting.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I read your whole story, you're really awesome for being so thoughtful and considerate. And, yes, this world isn't a happy peaceful one if you look too closely... so, really you're also brave for wanting to see what's going on behind the scenes. I'm sure if you research enough you'll find even more startling truths... Hm... I am wondering why you went to a farm to see a cow milked.

Some biig advice: Don't feel guilty for eating meat in your past. What's done is done, and what's important is living a better life, not a life of judgment and guilt. Remember, veganism is a philosophy, a respect for life, this includes your own. Welcome to the wonderful world of veganism. ^____^

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post

I read your whole story, you're really awesome for being so thoughtful and considerate. And, yes, this world isn't a happy peaceful one if you look too closely... so, really you're also brave for wanting to see what's going on behind the scenes. I'm sure if you research enough you'll find even more startling truths... Hm... I am wondering why you went to a farm to see a cow milked.

Some biig advice: Don't feel guilty for eating meat in your past. What's done is done, and what's important is living a better life, not a life of judgment and guilt. Remember, veganism is a philosophy, a respect for life, this includes your own. Welcome to the wonderful world of veganism. ^____^
Thank you!

I went to the farm when I was very young on a school field trip. I believe I was in Kindergarten, so I don't remember any other specifics. I know there were pigs (they were my favorite animal as a child, I was obsessed with them), but I don't remember much else. Maybe it was a pumpkin patch held at a local farm or something like that.

I'm beginning to realize that I should stop worrying about the past. I can't bring the animals that died for my meals back to life, but I can move forward in living cruelty-free instead. I've never felt this great in my life. Even though I'm understanding terrible things about what happens to others in the world, I just feel happy, peaceful, and determined about trying to make a difference.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Thanks, Sequoia! I especially love the article the first one has about helping Pitt Bulls.
That is from a blog called Our Hen House. I love it. Check out other areas of the blog too. They also have a podcast

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I went to the farm when I was very young on a school field trip. I believe I was in Kindergarten, so I don't remember any other specifics. I know there were pigs (they were my favorite animal as a child, I was obsessed with them), but I don't remember much else. Maybe it was a pumpkin patch held at a local farm or something like that.

I'm beginning to realize that I should stop worrying about the past. I can't bring the animals that died for my meals back to life, but I can move forward in living cruelty-free instead. I've never felt this great in my life. Even though I'm understanding terrible things about what happens to others in the world, I just feel happy, peaceful, and determined about trying to make a difference.
If understanding the terrible things about what happens in the world empowers you from knowledge, then congrats, you are a rare breed. Ignorance is bliss, because reality can be a scary thing... it makes us face fears and some of us just don't have the courage to stand up to some of these things.
I wanted to check on that before saying... the school trip that took you to see a cow milk was probably a setup. They'd show you just how harmless milking is for the cow, and that it's actually good for them. The school was probably funded by the milk industry in exchange for the elaborate ruse to program you as a child so you'd grow up drinking what turns out to be a slow-kill food and desensitizing you to cruelty to animals.
Despite my assumptions, I would advocate that you maintain your happy and peaceful outlook. No feelings of guilt, no fears, and no ignorance. You are a strong person for facing these things and a wonderful individual for making the choice for compassion. I know you will find great success in life ^___^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.