VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier this week there was a circus coming to a nearby town, and I'd heard that there might be some protesting going on. I thought, ooh, good, I'm due for such a thing, and it'd be nice to meet people from the area who also care about this stuff. Alas, I tried looking this stuff up, see if I could find any information about when such protesting would be going on - if it in fact was - and couldn't find anything at all.


So the day rolled around and I had nothing. I was disappointed. I thought, what if there's a decent-sized group of people and I'm not there, and I miss the opportunity to participate and possibly make new friends? I'd be one more person there, too: I would add to the no doubt already small number of people around here who care enough to bother doing such a thing. I was running out of time to make plans, my friends were either busy or not reachable, when finally it just occurred to me, why not just show up anyway? By myself? Make my own signs and just go, regardless of how many other people will be there... It sounded a bit intimidating, but I decided on the spot I was doing it, no matter what. I felt badly about what was happening to the animals at the circus, sad that there might be no one there to sort of stand witness to what was happening, to oppose it, and I thought, this will be good for me, a good challenge.

So I did it. I made myself some signs, got a ride to the circus parking lot, and marched alongside the road, by myself (no other protesters). In the car, I felt a bit nervous: was I actually going to do this all by myself? But once I got out with my signs and started walking, it wasn't a big deal at all. I got lots of supportive honks, waves, and some people even stopped to ask questions, about why I was protesting, what animals go through at the circus, etc. A couple of negative responses, but nothing big. One guy yelled out, "Friggin' vegetarian!" at me, haha.
I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Yeah!?" - the guy flew by so fast I didn't have time for more of a response than that.


Anyway, that's my story.
Just thought I'd let people know that it's not that hard to do, that once I was out there I didn't feel out of place at all. I knew I was standing up for what's right, and it felt good to be doing it. If I hadn't shown up, those animals would have had no one opposing what was happening to them there that day, which just struck me as wrong... I'm against it, and I needed to be there letting people know. And I may have been the only one protesting, but I'm obviously not the only one in this area who feels this way, and hopefully someday the circus will be coming to town sans animals in their acts.

Finis.
 

·
Ankle Biter
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
Congratulations - excellent job. I'm not so sure I'd have the nerve to protest by myself. I'm pretty lucky to be hooked into an active (although small!) group here in central Virginia. I applaud you!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I've been in both extremes. In one, we were supposed to meet in another parking lot and when I got there, nobody showed up so I went back home. To the other extreme, I was at a circus with a group and later that night we tore down just about every sign they had in town and then dumped them right in the entrance to the circus, making a huge pile of broken signs that nobody would be able to drive through.

Man, that's some brave stuff going on your own. Wish I had that kind of nerve.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
That's awesome! Very brave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Loooooser!!!


It's nice the animals had someone there protesting their treatment
I told my parents about planning to go to a protest and they were talking about protesters they saw at a circus 20 years ago... Makes me wonder if we'll be telling our grand kids stories when they go to protest the same thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
I don't think I'd have the guts to do that by myself. I tip my hat to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Good show. Just going out there to protest with others is very commendable. Continuing on by yourself is very courageous, impressive, and inspiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone.
I guess I'd want people to take away from this that - using common sense, mind you - it really wasn't that big a deal, doing this alone. I felt my most scared when I was still in the car, waiting to be dropped off. Once I got out there, it was fine. So, yeah, if you live in a safe enough place then don't be afraid to go out there and do this. It sounds scary, but it isn't.


And this is coming from someone who's not overly social (very introverted), who can be shy at times, is fairly quiet, etc... I speak up when my conscience makes me, haha, and am talkative enough with friends, but yeah, that's it. In case anyone was thinking you need to be outgoing to do this sort of thing - no, you don't!
So if there's something you want to speak out against, and you can't find anyone to do it with you, consider trying this... the worst that could happen is you find it too difficult, in which case you can just stop, right? I knew going into it that maybe it would turn out that way, but I figured, hey, what is there to lose in just trying? And it turned out to be just fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

...I told my parents about planning to go to a protest and they were talking about protesters they saw at a circus 20 years ago... Makes me wonder if we'll be telling our grand kids stories when they go to protest the same thing


Someday the stories will be about how people used to do very horrible things to animals, and children will be horrified. I do believe that... The human race is going to look back with so much shame at what we've done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
We just need more people to get out there. We have enough people who oppose it. We should have such a crowd of protestors that people can't even get into the building. The police wont have enough hand cuffs for us all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts

Girl...
You got balls!!!
 

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
Joined
·
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post


Girl...
You got balls!!!
This! You rock, Kim! So glad you were able to spread the word and reach people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

We just need more people to get out there. We have enough people who oppose it. We should have such a crowd of protestors that people can't even get into the building. The police wont have enough hand cuffs for us all
OMG, wouldn't that be amazing? Unfortunately, they wouldn't need that many cuffs. They'd come in with their gas masks and disperse the protestors forcefully.
They also wouldn't need to arrest all of us: just the organizers and a select few others would be enough to scare off the less radical.

This is what protesting, strikes, etc. used to be about. Actual disruption of economic activity. That's precisely what made these things effective. Now there are strict rules about how these activities are to take place; they've effectively been neutered, been rendered almost completely ineffective.


Naomi Wolf has interesting things to say on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYahriXBGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post


Girl...
You got balls!!!
Haha, thanks! I don't know about that, though...
And actually, can we say I have ovaries? Why do balls need to be what's symbolic of courage, etc.?
"Hey, yeah, that guy's got ovaries."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

This! You rock, Kim! So glad you were able to spread the word and reach people.
Thanks, Rhys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Haha, thanks! I don't know about that, though...
And actually, can we say I have ovaries? Why do balls need to be what's symbolic of courage, etc.?
"Hey, yeah, that guy's got ovaries."
So true.
That is a double standard.
Saying "that guy's got ovaries" would probably not go over so well :/

My Dad is always asking me "Why can't you find a guy who's balls are bigger than yours?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Saying "that guy's got ovaries" would probably not go over so well :/
Haha, probably not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

My Dad is always asking me "Why can't you find a guy who's balls are bigger than yours?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

OMG, wouldn't that be amazing? Unfortunately, they wouldn't need that many cuffs. They'd come in with their gas masks and disperse the protestors forcefully.
They also wouldn't need to arrest all of us: just the organizers and a select few others would be enough to scare off the less radical.

This is what protesting, strikes, etc. used to be about. Actual disruption of economic activity. That's precisely what made these things effective. Now there are strict rules about how these activities are to take place; they've effectively been neutered, been rendered almost completely ineffective.
I'll bring some gas masks from the army surplus store
There's ways around everything...


Quote:
Haha, thanks! I don't know about that, though...
And actually, can we say I have ovaries? Why do balls need to be what's symbolic of courage, etc.?
"Hey, yeah, that guy's got ovaries."
Good luck with that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Loooooser!!!


It's nice the animals had someone there protesting their treatment
I told my parents about planning to go to a protest and they were talking about protesters they saw at a circus 20 years ago... Makes me wonder if we'll be telling our grand kids stories when they go to protest the same thing
Things are changing. In the UK there are now proposals for a Bill to ban wild animals from circuses. I think some day soon animal circuses will be as looked down-upon as fur is.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top