VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m diabetic (got diagnosed earlier this year) and still struggling to find out if it is "possible" for me to live as a vegetarian. I try to eat in a way that does not raise my glucose levels more than what I feel is ok for me, but eating vegetarian makes this much harder, I feel.

So I`m looking for suggestions on what I can eat that is high in protein? (I need to eat approx. 2 times as much protein as carbs in a meal to not raise my levels too much, I have found.

What are your best proteinrich foods?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Amys 1/4lb vegan burgers. YUM

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh, I forgot to mention that I live in Norway, so premade stuff like burgers/Quornproducts etc. is not an option. There are extremely few vegetarian options in stores here. (3 different Quorn-products, a few burgers, and 1 or 2 different sausages and meatballs. Thats about it.)

·
Registered
824 Posts
:/ boo. Let me think a bit

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
what do you mean by the 2:1 ratio. grams to grams or what? that doesn't make sense unless you elaborate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Nevermind the 2:1 ratio. I`m struggling to elaborate, not finding the right English words. :/ What I mean is, to cut it short, that not only do I need to eat quite a bit more protein than "normal people", but I at the same time need to eat far, far less carbs. I can eat as much veggies as I like, except corn. (I can eat that too, but not unlimited amounts.) I can eat a little fruit every day, but far less than I would like to. I can eat berries, luckily.

I can also eat ww pasta, small amounts of ww bread (like 1 thin, thin slice), too. But, and here is where I struggle, when eating these kinds of things I have to eat a lot of protein to "balance it out". (Protein does not raise my levels at all, some times it actually lowers them.) And this is where I`m having trouble. If I want to eat a small bowl of pasta with veggies, I need protein, too. And a few nuts isn`t enough, or what I am looking for. I would love to have some options that actually "fits" with the dinner, if that makes sense.

And please, this is my experience based on real life readings of my levels over 6 months. So telling me that it is totally possible to eat (insert whatever you want here
) is not helpful.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Do you have access to quinoa there? As someone said, that's a grain that's a WONDERFUL source of protein.

Also, beans, beans, beans, beans, tofu, eggs, and dairy (if you still eat the latter two).

·
Registered
139 Posts
there are a few places in norway where you can get "fake meat" depending on where you live. But wouldn't it be better if you went to your doctor and have she or he help you figure out a diet plan?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
You may benefit from reading the PCRM's info material on diabetes and diet:
Quote:
The new approach focuses more attention on fat. Fat is a problem for people with diabetes. The more fat there is in the diet, the harder time insulin has in getting glucose into the cells.2 Conversely, minimizing fat intake and reducing body fat help insulin do its job much better. Newer treatment programs drastically reduce meats, high-fat dairy products, and oils. At the same time, they increase grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. One study found that 21 of 23 patients on oral medications and 13 of 17 patients on insulin were able to get off of their medications after 26 days on a near-vegetarian diet and exercise program.3 During two- and three-year follow- ups, most people with diabetes treated with this regimen have retained their gains.4 The dietary changes are simple, but profound, and they work. Low-fat, vegetarian diets are ideal for people with diabetes.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-to...es-for-success

Some more info here:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-...e-for-diabetes

(If you look around / use the search funtion on their site you may be able to find more as well.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My doctor is of no help. I have taken classes, too. But mainstream ideas here about what to eat when diabetic is just hopeless. Lots of grains is their mantra. And I can`t eat that.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
We also have a Scandanavia Thread where you can ask about country-specific specialty vegetarian products. We do have a couple other members from Norway, including one of our site admininstrators. You aren't alone!

EDIT: Oh, he already posted in this thread, too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't mean to change the subject, but my dad is diabetic and I read garbanzo beans are great for regulating blood sugar and are quite tasty.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seitan (wheat gluten) has a very good protein:carb ratio. You should be able to find it at a chinese grocery store (everywhere has those right?).

Or you can make your own, google should help you there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts