VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you knew how to calculate the amount of protien your body needs per day? I'm trying to gain weight and my doctor told me an equation to figure out how much I needed but that was two months ago when I didnt want to hear I was not eating enough....now I dont remember the equation...

Any ideas?

Also does it matter what sort of protien it is? Protein is protein right?

·
Registered
441 Posts
it depends on many factors: activity levels, goals, height, weight, build. generally, protein is around 25-30% of your daily intake.

and protein is not just protein... you need to make sure throughout the day you get all the different amino acids. the only full veg protein is found in the soybean (and maybe quinoa, would have to double check that one).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

0.5-1.0 grams of protein per kilogram body weight.

0.5 is for moderately active people, 1.0 is for very active people.
soo if i weigh 50kilos, then i would only need 25g of protein (as i am moderately active)?? somehow that seems really low. i always thought i needed at least 40g per day. am i doing that right?

edit: i guess i am doing that wrong..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_in_nutrition

Quote:
Dietary requirements

According to the recently updated Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, the recommended daily consumption of protein for adult men and women is the following: Women aged 19-70 need to consume 46 g of protein per day. Men aged 19-70 need to consume 56 g of protein per day. The difference is due to the fact that, in general, men's bodies have more muscle mass than those of women.

Other recommendations suggest 1 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight while some extreme sources suggest that higher intakes of 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight are desirable. Higher levels of protein intake have not been proven to be necessary and may be harmful due to increased stress on the kidneys and liver.[citation needed]

How much protein you need in your daily diet is determined, in large part, by your overall energy intake, as well as by your body's need for nitrogen and essential amino acids. Physical activity and exertion as well as enhanced muscular mass increase your need for protein. Requirements are also greater during childhood for growth and development, during pregnancy or when breast-feeding in order to nourish your baby, or when your body needs to recover from malnutrition or trauma or after an operation.

Because the body is continually breaking down protein from tissues, even adults who do not fall into the above categories need to include adequate protein in their diet every day. If you do not take in enough energy from your diet, your body will use protein from the muscle mass to meet its energy needs, and this can lead to muscle wasting over time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do not worry about protein requirements.

All Green Vegetables Contain All Complete Protein's

Most beans contain all complete proteins as well.

The only way you are going to increase your weight by building muscle mass is to exercise and put a demand on your body, your appetite will increase accordingly.

America has a protein obsesion.

PM me and I can email you article/pdf that will clarify protein myths.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
woah i thought it was 1gm per kg.

i thought i needed 45gms !! but i did also think that protein is over emphasised so i rarely get to 45

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
10-15% of your calories should be from protein. With a 2000 calorie a day diet, that means 50 to 75 grams. This figure is from "Becoming vegan."

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
just while we're discussing protein for active, non active..what IS active? i think of myself as sedentary but someone the other day said i was active. i don't really understand.. :p

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If 10-15% of your diet should be protein what percentage should be fat and what carbohydrates? Just curious....

Is fitday.com really accurate at figuring out this percentage?

Taurus- I'm not sure whats considered sedetary or active either. I dont work out but I do walk around doing everday things? hehe Is that sedetary or active? No clue!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Active is generally considered someone who exercises or does manual labor.

To the OP -do you know how much you are getting now? Are you exercising or have a physically demanding job?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts