VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone get enough protein into their daily diets?

When you're craving something sweet and are trying to make healthier choices, what do you grab to subside it?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the protein...

the massive amounts of protein consumed by western civilizations is a recent thing related to affluence. people have been eating lower protein diets for thousands of years. The actual recommended amount of protein is 50-60g a day, which is at most half of what most americans eat.

Just eat whole grains and a variety of foods and I don't think you will have any issues. If you are a professional athlete or bodybuilder it would probably be good to work more legumes and stuff in to your diet to get more protein tho.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i drink a soya shake every day as I dont get enough protein in.

something sweet i love date balls anything with dates in it and then of course chocolate
) in moderation

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
It's easy to get enough protein with a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods. I'm an athlete and require more protein than normal for my size, i get enough from veggies, beans, grains and nuts.

Drink water when u crave sweet foods, or choose fruit

·
Registered
765 Posts
i dont like nuts or beans so but eat grains, vegggies and the rest.

i find also find that if i am really craving something sweet and i drink a soya shake my sweet craving or any cravings go away.

BUT i agree if you eat a lot of grains, beans and nuts you dont need to substitute.

I wish I liked it.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Chickpeas, lentils and to a slightly lesser degree peas are also good protein sources. Peanuts are also good, better than other nuts. (I think the peanut is actually technically a legume.) Chickpeas can be used to make hummus! Just saying. And if you think you don't like beans, you just haven't tried the right bean or not cooked it in the right dish yet! Don't give up that easily!

Oh, and tofu! Have you tried tofu? Make sure to use a recipe if you cook it at home, as it requires some spices etc to make it a bit more interesting.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
TVP is a great source of protein, if your okay with soya. Also breads, all sorts of nuts and seeds. You can take a vegan protein supplement if you so wish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!! It looks like I'm doing okay in the protein part of my diet! Now, I think I just need to add more whole grains. I'm working at finding the balance to a veggie diet- I'm a work in progress

I read soya shakes twice. Can someone tell me more about them and where I buy them...? I'm assuming a Whole Foods or New Season's (might be an Oregon only store..?) would carry something like that..?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
It's just shakes made with soymilk. Like fruit and veggies and soymilk or any other plant milks blended together. I make shakes with just fruits and veggies as I don't like the creamy milk kind

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Porridge is also another good source of protein and calcium, and gives slow release energy. You can increase the protein content by mixing with soya milk rather than water. I sprinkle some sultanas on top, it makes the meal far more enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It would be really hard for someone who eats enough calories to not get enough protein, regardless if omni or veg.

I get 70-80 g. per day (female) from fruits and vegetables alone, NO grains, legumes, nuts, or seeds have to be involved.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Forum View Post

How does everyone get enough protein into their daily diets?

When you're craving something sweet and are trying to make healthier choices, what do you grab to subside it?
Just grab some fruit. I also make healthier baked goods by using gluten free flour and xylitol in place of sugar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts