VeggieBoards banner

Protein

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  kasandra 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Vegetarian Lifestyle is going great...

Its just the protein thing that is still a problem for me as my body does tell me if I dont get in enough protein. Also dont have energy or strength to exercise, not for weightloss but just keeping stress at bay.

I have soya protein powder but can't always get it in. Not so nice and becoming winter here. maybe should invest in some soya bars rather.

Eggs now freak me out since going vegetarian. I do however still manage to eat egg whites. I KNOW doesnt make sense but that is my brain.

Don't like beans or nuts do try and eat some roasted seeds over my veggies!

Its been a bit of a tough month due to family crises.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Decided to cut dairy out of my eating plan and substitute.

See less See more
#27 ·
You may want to up your fat intake. Fatty acids are just as crucial as amino acids, despite the anti-fat propaganda that has brainwashed just about everyone into believing fat is evil. If you're getting all the essential amino acids and all your micronutrients and still don't feel right, you may be surprised at how much energy you have after increasing your fat consumption. That includes saturated. Don't be afraid to include the yokes or, if you'd prefer not to (or if you end up deciding to do away with eggs), coconuts are about as perfect a food as you can find. I go through coconut like an addict.

#28 ·
Thanks Nomad888 - What you are saying is so true, before I became vegetarian I never use to eat things like avo and hummus due to the high fat content but now live on it - I have never liked egg yolks as I have high cholestrol and yes now eggs just freak me out. The mind is a strange thing.

I am sure I am a vegan in the making but dont want to hurt my body in the process so will just do it slowly.

Will totally freak my husband out if I go vegan.

#29 ·
Just wanted to say, if you haven't already, I definitely agree with the suggestion to figure out exactly how much protein you need and then see how your diet compares. Add up all the protein in everything you eat, not just the obvious protein-containing stuff. You very well might find you're closer than you think. The RDA for my body weight is about 50 grams and when I tracked my intake, I discovered I easily exceed that on a (usually)healthy vegan diet, even on days I'm not particularly focused on it.

#30 ·
Looking at your list of typical foods I see several protein rich items and fat sources but doesn't seem like a lot of complex carbs relative to what I'd expect if you were looking for an energy boost. Might wanna look at whole grain pasta, that sort of thing, see if that helps at all. Just an idea

#31 ·
If your eating whole grains with nuts, beans, soy products like tofu or products with soy protein isolates throughout the day with your normal servings of greens and other veggies you should be o.k. I agree about the calories. Do you know about how many calories you should be taking per day? I would check your BMI numbers to see how many calories you should have a day. You might not be getting enough. Also, I would say 60-100 grams of protein per day to maintain your good health. I've noticed that since becoming a vegetarian, I have to eat more than I used to because I am eating mostly raw things which have bulk, but not that many calories. I've also gotten away from a lot of starchy things too. Sweet potatoes are pretty good and I think they contain a decent amount of protein too.

#32 ·
Hemp seeds on top of a good healthy bowl of oatmeal. Combining your oatmeal, (get a good healthy kind with a mixture of grains), almond or soy milk, and the hemp seeds,(NOT cooked with oatmeal, sprinkle them on after you cook it), will give you a really good jump on your protein for the day! :) You could also add some crushed walnuts or almond slices on top for texture, taste, and even more protein!

#33 ·
@ Veggieloaf

My BMI is 20 according to my height 1.51 and weight 46kg. So dont think I need too much protein? Since becoming vegetarian I have lost 3kg's and that is not by not eating like you pointing out I have to eat twice as much and lots of good fat foods as well like avo's and hummus. I dont like "fake" food that has been processed like soya sausages etc as I like eating food in its natural form like Lots of grains, veggies and fruit. Started eating more beans now and getting use to it BUT still dont like nuts.

Not a fan of oatmeal or porridge NRAVegetarian.

Was really considering going vegan but I can cut out diary but dont think it would be wise to cut out egg whites as they are a good source of protein for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.