VeggieBoards banner

Protein

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  kasandra 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Vegetarian Lifestyle is going great...

Its just the protein thing that is still a problem for me as my body does tell me if I dont get in enough protein. Also dont have energy or strength to exercise, not for weightloss but just keeping stress at bay.

I have soya protein powder but can't always get it in. Not so nice and becoming winter here. maybe should invest in some soya bars rather.

Eggs now freak me out since going vegetarian. I do however still manage to eat egg whites. I KNOW doesnt make sense but that is my brain.

Don't like beans or nuts do try and eat some roasted seeds over my veggies!

Its been a bit of a tough month due to family crises.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Decided to cut dairy out of my eating plan and substitute.

See less See more
#2 ·
how about lentils? there are lots of great recipes using them that would help fill the protein need, also, what about tempeh, tofu or seitan?

Are you sure you're eating enough calories in general, not just blaming it on protein? If you are eating plenty of veggies, you're still getting protein in them.

#5 ·
For a month during last summer, I was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, doing a lot of lifting and loading trucks out in the heat. I really felt it if I didn't get enough protein for muscle repair and recovery.

The opportunity gave me the chance to try out different foods, and different times of day. I found that breakfast was the best time to get my protein, and the best breakfast I found was a couple of peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread, washed down with a giant glass of soymilk.

With that as a breakfast, I had better endurance, and my co-workers usually started dragging their feet long before I did. I also slept better, found it easier to wake up, and I didn't have problems with soreness.

Lunch was usually large, and full of veggies. Late afternoon I'd have lots of fruit to help with dehydration. I usually skipped dinner...since I was tired and just wanted to go to bed. I would have so much water I wasn't really hungry.

#6 ·
mmmm that is a great idea as I usually do rye rolls for breakfast will start eating peanut butter again it does keep you full - also avo on rye.

i am also doing veggie soups now to add some calories with my snacks and rye rolls for lunch ...

#8 ·
When I first went to the Vegertarian diet.... I really had a hard time as well considering how my taste buds were use to only certain things and I was really into limited types of veggies. Even as a omni... I loved beans and nuts so I really cant help you there, but I can make a suggestion.

I know you are giving up Diary and I think am on the same road to give it up as well... but this is just an example.
I hated yogurt before.... but as I noticed I needed more protien and my knowledge of vegertarian type protien was extremly low. I forced myself to eat it, everyday for 2 weeks I sat down on break at work and tried to eat greek yogurt. The first time I only got a spoonful before I gaged and through the rest away. The second day 2 spoonfuls, in a week I was eating half and by 2 weeks I was looking forward to my yogurt at break everyday. Now its so good... that I have to teach myself not to want it anymore since I am going to try to give up dairy. Maybe you should try that with beans and nuts.... expanding your the things in your diet is always a good thing.

As for hemp seeds... I use shelled hemp seeds in my cereal every morning. They do taste kinda nutty to me... but with cereal I dont think i can really taste it. I dont think you taste the powder in your soup if you only did a spoonful or so. Might just make it taste better if anything.

Also are you eating whole grains? I buy usually everything whole grain considering it has more protien and is just better all around for you.

BTW are you getting enough vitamins like b12 and such? I was feeling pretty down at one time and Just started taking a multivitamin... it could be all in my head but within a week I was feeling 10x better.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Hi Everyone

Vegetarian Lifestyle is going great...

Its just the protein thing that is still a problem for me as my body does tell me if I dont get in enough protein. Also dont have energy or strength to exercise, not for weightloss but just keeping stress at bay.

I have soya protein powder but can't always get it in. Not so nice and becoming winter here. maybe should invest in some soya bars rather.

Eggs now freak me out since going vegetarian. I do however still manage to eat egg whites. I KNOW doesnt make sense but that is my brain.

Don't like beans or nuts do try and eat some roasted seeds over my veggies!

Its been a bit of a tough month due to family crises.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Decided to cut dairy out of my eating plan and substitute.
From what I've read, it's virtually impossible to have a protein deficit if you're eating enough total calories. It sounds to me like it's the family crisis. Stress will certainly affect your energy level. I'd agree with Cadrian's comment about multivitamins. I hope you have someone to talk to about the stress.

#13 ·
Hi, how much protein are you going for in a day? If you were to eat about 2000 calories of straight up bananas, you would get 25 grams of protein (according to NutriDiary). So if you're eating other things besides bananas (which I certainly hope you are) that are higher in protein, such as dark leafy greens, grains, nuts, seeds, etc, you should be getting a fairly good amount.

It's your body, so you know what you need. I'm just pointing that out. Also, it's a really good idea to find ways to incorporate some beans into your diet - beans, lentils, etc are high in protein, fiber, etc and are a good addition to any diet unless you're aiming for high raw. Maybe try some pureed things (lentils pureed into soup can be a good thickener), hummus, bean patties, that sort of thing.

As for hemp powder, I've never put it into a soup... I think you'd really want to keep that for smoothies. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

#14 ·
I'd agree that it's worth continuing to try beans and lentils, there are so many varieties, and try them in different ways i.e pasta, curries, chilis, mexican foods, puréed in soups, etc. I can't taste cooked red lentils in soup and they don't even have much texture so that may be an option if you can get them!

Even without beans it's possible to eat veg*n and get enough protein, by relying on whole grains, nuts, leafy veg and mock meats. Things like oatmeal, bagels, spinach salads, wholewheat bread, almonds, seitan, tofu, peanut butter, peas, cashews, brown rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat etc are all good sources.

#15 ·
You do need to check you are getting complete protein. Tofu is a complete protein, so are edamame and quinoa. Have you tried quinoa? One of the richest sources of complete protein. You can make salads with it, or throw it into soups etc.
Take care/have fun..

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

I'd agree that it's worth continuing to try beans and lentils, there are so many varieties, and try them in different ways i.e pasta, curries, chilis, mexican foods, puréed in soups, etc. I can't taste cooked red lentils in soup and they don't even have much texture so that may be an option if you can get them!
I often put red lentils into my veggie pasta sauces - add some nutritional yeast and other veggies, season, then puree. It's thick and creamy but doesn't taste like lentils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensai View Post

You do need to check you are getting complete protein. Tofu is a complete protein, so are edamame and quinoa. Have you tried quinoa? One of the richest sources of complete protein. You can make salads with it, or throw it into soups etc.
Take care/have fun..
Nah, getting all the essential amino acids is enough

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

I often put red lentils into my veggie pasta sauces - add some nutritional yeast and other veggies, season, then puree. It's thick and creamy but doesn't taste like lentils.

Nah, getting all the essential amino acids is enough
Agree, I didn't mean complete in one sitting, just that quinoa etc were good easy sources. I can see how my post could have been read that way though. ;]

#18 ·
I eat a lot of the following : rye bread, avo, hummus, cucumber, banana's, soya powder, roasted veg or stir fry and brown rice.

Lots different veggies and soups.

Roasted seeds.

Must give beans another try.

Haven't tried quinoa.

Love mexican food!

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.

Just got VitB injection and feeling better,

#19 ·
If you have low energy, you probably need more carbohydrates. It's pretty easy to get enough protein on fruits and green leafy veggies alone, provided you get enough calories. If you're eating legumes, nuts, seeds, and grains, you'll be getting even more protein.

#21 ·
How much protein are you getting?

Journaling is a good idea. Keep track of how much protein you actually do consumer for a few weeks and compare your energy levels. If you love Mexican food, then tossing in beans should be a cinch. I disagree with those who say it's impossible to not get enough protein. It is something to be mindful of, but if you're eating whole grains, nuts, beans or soy/tofu then you'll be fine.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensai View Post

Take care/have fun..
The "complete protein" or "protein combining" myth has been debunked.....years ago.

#24 ·
^^ He posted again later, that he didn't mean like that.
But yes, it has definitely been debunked, if anyone here still believes in it.

You said you're feeling better after a vitamin B injection. Are you deficient in B vitamins, or just getting the shot to see? If you are deficient in them, I would suspect that over low protein as a cause of any fatigue.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

How much protein are you getting?

Journaling is a good idea. Keep track of how much protein you actually do consumer for a few weeks and compare your energy levels. If you love Mexican food, then tossing in beans should be a cinch. I disagree with those who say it's impossible to not get enough protein. It is something to be mindful of, but if you're eating whole grains, nuts, beans or soy/tofu then you'll be fine.
Yeah, I agree. I feel like crap if I don't eat enough protein.

Nice to see you again.

#26 ·
i am doing a journal now just to keep note of what is really the problem.

i take a multi vitamin which is complete in VitB's so dont know really if that is the problem, more maybe stress.

i just bought some chilly red kidney beans to add into my stir fry.... Hope I like it
).

i find that having a vitb12 shot every second week just gives me that extra energy I need.

thanks everyone for all the advice... much appreciated.

will keep posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.