VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried the GeniSoy Chocolate Shake protein powder. Ew. I've managed to chug half the cup down, but I think I've reached my breaking point; this stuff is awful. I've had good experiences with their power bars, so I thought I'd give this stuff a chance. I think I'm going to take it back to Wild Oats.

Can anyone recommend other protein shake powders to try? I've gotten some stuff at GNC in the past that has been passable, but nothing yet that has tasted outright good.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fenguin

I've gotten some stuff at GNC in the past that has been passable, but nothing yet that has tasted outright good.
I wouldn't say any that I've tried (I've tried about a dozen) have tasted "outright good" but a few are more tolerable in the right recipe. There aren't any good ones, nutritionally-speaking, that are good with just milk. Trader Joe's is by far the best value, I'd say, and it's not bad if you conteract the texture with banana, tofu, or something smooth like that. "Zone Perfect" is not AS nutritious, but is probably the easiest to mix.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use the flavorless one from veganessentials. You can add it to anything you want. It's like tofu and will take on the flavor of whatever you add it to. It's Freeda Ultramino Soy Protein Powder and has 15 grams of protein per 3 tablespoons. Relatively cheap, too, IMO.

For chocolate protein shakes, I use Naturade Bavarian Chocolate. It's also vegan & contains 13 grams of protein per 2 scoops. I recently found it at K-Mart for 1/2 price! Otherwise, it's usually about 12 or 13 bucks.

As far as money goes, the Ultramino will give you more for your buck. There are 30 servings in a container and it costs $13.50 (I think). Naturade only gives you 13 servings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got this other stuff called Omega Blast from veganessentials. It's really thick, but has like 20 grams of protein.Taste wise it was a little funky at first but now I'm sold!(a little pricey too)Great for pre-ride meal!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Faery Girl

oh no...there are bee products in spirutien?!

oh geez...is spirulina a bee product?

I feel soooo stupid!

giving the spirutien away tonight : (
Spirulina is algae.

I did have one customer tell me that algae was not vegan -- they said it wasn't really a plant -- but this was the only person I ever ran across that thought spirulina was not vegan.

IIRC, Spirutein has bee pollen, but I would have to look at it to make sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.