VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since becoming a Vegetarian the main question I always get asked is, "How are you getting enough protein and calcium?"

As soon as they ask me this the "Where do you get your protein" song starts going off in my head and I want to sing it to them.

But I don't. I start by explaining to them that I probably meet my protein daily requirement just with my breakfast and that protein and calcium are actually easier than you think to incorporate into your diet without meat or cow milk.

I broke it down today and realized that WOW I almost do.

Wake up and have a glass of fortified OJ and a handfull of chia seeds.

OJ: 35% of calcium DV
25% of Vitamin D DV

Chia seeds: 18% of calcium DV
20% of protein DV
7% of zinc DV

I get to work and I have oatmeal made with almond milk and walnuts, blueberries, and hemp seeds on top.

Oatmeal: 10% of calcium DV
9% of protein DV
20% of iron DV
20% of vitamin A DV

Almond Milk: 30% of calcium DV
10% of vitamin A DV
45% of vitamin D DV
50% of B-12 DV
10% of zinc DV

Hemp Seeds: 20% of protein DV
20% of iron DV
20% of zinc DV

Walnuts: 11% of protein DV

So I listed all the nutrients that I hear that Vegans and Vegetarians tend to be deficient in and the numbers are looking pretty good. I think I'm going to make a t-shirt with the nutritional value of something like quinoa on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I really hate the whole "Where do you get your protein/Calcium" criticism that so many omnivores throw around.

The only nutrient that I don't mind when someone asks "Where do you get your [insert nutrient here]" is B12, since, you know, that actually is a nutrient not obtainable in a standard unprocessed plant based diet.

What I really love is when someone asks where I get my Vitamin D from, as if Milk is the only source of Vitamin D.

I'll never forget watching an interview w/Lierre Keith, and she outwardly said that Vitamin D was unobtainable from a plant based diet, as well as a plethora of other nutrients that actually are found in a plant based diet.

The funny thing about Vitamin D is that the arguably best source of dietary vitamin D is darker mushrooms, since they create Vitamin D on their own, just like we do. And to my understanding, they are pretty high in Vitamin D.

And without a doubt, the best source of vitamin D is just going outside with some skin exposed.

Sheesh, I *hate* ignorance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like a great idea for a T-shirt actually. The front could say Where do you get YOUR protein? (which I've seen), but the back could be a long list of plant-based protein sources!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
When someone tries to play the protein card I usually ask them to specify which amino acid they're talking about that they believe can only be found in meat. Simple enough, but it usually results in a fairly blank look, which leads me to believe that most people don't really even know what protein is beyond that they need it... for something... because that's what they read somewhere.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
calcium are actually easier than you think to incorporate into your diet without meat or cow milk
Calcium is actually easier period if you DON'T eat excess protein as many non-veg types do.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I have a shirt that says "Yes, I get enough protein."

·
Registered
765 Posts
aai yes, the question I hear all the time. BUT I just have a spoon and half soya protein in juice every day and "drum roll" that is enough protein for the day.

I also get so you vegetarian? what do you now actually eat?

my husband loves the fact that I become vegetarian cause before I use to hate cooking now I am in the kitchen all the time cooking up a storm even going to attemp to bake this upcoming weekend.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ps. when I was still eating meat my husband use to give me a vitb12 injection every second week havent felt i needed it till now might just go back to the STAB ones a week. I hate needles and it burns but its so worth it.

E-N-E-R-G-Y

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i don't really go into details. i just say "there is protein in lots of food besides meat. beans, nuts all such stuff"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I hate it when people won't shut up about things like protein
Me, too, because it's so easily obtainable that it's not even funny. I wish people would stop acting like it's the most vital nutrient in the world and nearly impossible to get on a veg*n diet.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

When people ask, "Where do get your protein?" I hear: "I'm super dumb."
I don't think super dumb is accurate. I do believe that the vast majority of the world's population is hugely undereducated about nutrition. When I hear, "Where do you get your protein?", I hear a chance to educate and share my delicious veg*n fare.

Sure, it can be frustrating to asnwer the same questions over and over, but I have seen people around me reduce their consumption.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My response to the question depends on the tone of the other person.
If they're honestly asking, I'll give them a simple explanation - protein in everything, yada yada.
If they're saying it to be snarky, I will smack them around with words and facts. The goal at that point is to make them feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

I don't think super dumb is accurate. I do believe that the vast majority of the world's population is hugely undereducated about nutrition. When I hear, "Where do you get your protein?", I hear a chance to educate and share my delicious veg*n fare.

Sure, it can be frustrating to asnwer the same questions over and over, but I have seen people around me reduce their consumption.
I agree with you. I wish they would require nutrition in high school. I used to think that they did but maybe they don't. I guess it varies by state. I tend to think nutrition is just as important as all the other subjects.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
We should really be asking meateaters why they aren't worried about excess protein. Vegans have the lowest chance of developing osteoporosis, and excess protein is very hard on the kidneys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.