VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm new here.

It seems everywhere I look a different amount of protein is specified. Does anyone know what we really need for a daily allowance? The most reasonable answer I've come across is about 25g-30g a day. This is unless you are ill, injured, pregnant or nursing. Does this seem right?

What are the best sources of protein for a vegetarian?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi, welcome here!

From what I understand, healthy populations around the world consume somewhere between 20-42 grams of protein per day. The average American consumes 100 grams. To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about it because if you eat a healthy vegetarian diet, you will not be deficient in protein. Some great sources are beans, whole grains (especially quinoa), tofu and soy, green leafy vegetables, sprouts, nuts, and seeds. If you are eating a sufficient amount of calories from healthy whole foods, you don't need to worry about protein deficiency.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A good way of calculating your protein needs (in grams) is by multiplying your ideal weight in kilos by 0.8. By ideal weight, I mean your real weight, what you should weigh without being over- or underweight, regardless of how much you actually weigh now (let's face it, if you gain a few pounds, your protein needs won't increase - why should they?). Example: I should weight about 50 kilos, so 50x0.8= 40gr of protein. Actual requirement can vary according to the level of exercise one is getting and to different body types. I'm usually fine with 35-40gr of protein daily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts