VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor says I should be careful with protein in my diet (shouldn't everyone?). I seem to have problems getting it because I can't seem to comsume anything the doctor mentioned.

To get more there's: of course meat and the like (I'm vegan), nuts and seeds, soymilk (I think?), and I forgot what else he mentioned.

But basically:

Animal products are out of the question.

Nuts and seeds are dangerous migraine triggers for me and so are some soy products (including some mock meats which can make me very nauseous anyway).

Did I mention I don't like beans?

Ok so anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I don't know much about protein and I think I'd feel better getting some info from other veggie people.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Dude, gotta try hummus (check out the "recipes and food discussion". Also, bean "burgers" are great (they don't taste like meat, but hey they're much butter tasting). I think mushrooms have a lot of protien...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Get a protein powder for adding to water/soy milk/shakes ??

Although they are usually pretty gross, you just gotta gulp it down!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh somehow I knew kristadb would be the first to reply

Oh and yeah, I love hummus! It's the only real bean-y food I can tolerate.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Eat whole grains like quinoa, spelt, kamut, amaranth, etc., or breads, pastas or cereals made with them. A lot of whole grains are quite high in protein.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you could try eating more tofu...

seeds have protein, like sunflower and sesame...try sprinkling them on your main dishes...

leafy greens have protein and calcium..

and cereal grains too...

however what you really need is a good cookbook that has recipes that focus on a balanced diet...there is a cookbook thread in the focus forums...lots of smart and aware people here. i am sure someone can suggest an excellent book!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tempeh and quinoa are two excellent sources of protein that you should learn to work with immediately.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*shudders*

Beans...yuck. Oh and someone mentioned peanut butter. Double yuck.
Thanks for the great ideas and advice!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can yuck all you want, but your vegan lifestyle and allergies restrict what you can and cannot eat, leaving you with fewer choices.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

You can yuck all you want, but your vegan lifestyle and allergies restrict what you can and cannot eat, leaving you with fewer choices.
I'm gonna have to agree with kristab on that one. If you want to be a vegan, you're going to need to be less picky. You are pretty much throwing anything with protein out the door except hummus and you can't live on only hummus.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I haven't seen any dismissal of tempeh and tofu) and quinoa, among other non-bean items mentioned.

My wife does not like beans, either, though she does love peanut butter, but she gets plenty of protein.

·
Registered
0 Posts
She can't have soy products, epski. Also, grains, while good sources of protein, aren't as high in iron, zinc and calcium as beans. Considering that she is swearing off other foods due to her lifestyle and her allergies, she needs to add more foods to her diet.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well imma have to try some quinoa...and besides other soy products tofu (which I love) I can tolerate most of the time...I didn't even know it was a source of protein. *blush*

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you can eat tofu, then you're ok for protein. Make sure to get tofu that is set in calcium, as that will assist in getting calcium into your diet.

I would strongly advice finding a fortified "milk" that does not bother you or learn to enjoy chickpeas and navy beans. At your age, you need at minimum 1300mg and supplements are not the best source.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts