VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever get that feeling that you have no friends? Or that the few chums you do have never want to hang out? Do you want some long-lost compradres to resurface from virtual non-existence? I have figured the solution to all of these problems, and it is procrastination. That's right, just leave something very important until the very last minute, and you will hear from friends you didn't even know you had, and discover a social life you never dreamed you'd imagine. Offer void where prohibited.

So I leave my summer term paper on "Sartre and Existential Psychology as the Basis for Reality Therapy" until almost the last minute. It is due, well, now (1500) - I handed it in 30 minutes ago.

I wrote most of it this morning because last night my old roommate is down from New York so it was the three of us (my other roommate) eating crappy chinese buffet and playing playstation all night.

I left it 'til last night because I woke up yesterday at 2pm after going to Philadelphia for to see a great local band at a great venue in a great neighborhood with a good friend (not great, though, he is a guy after all). So I didn't work on it Saturday night either.

I left it 'til Saturday night because Friday Night, well, I don't really remember Friday Night, so that says enough about that.

I left it 'til Friday Night because all day Friday I was sitting by the pool drinking beer.

I left it 'til Friday because Thursday Night I had a date with the ex.

I left it's 'til Thursday night because, hey, I've got all weekend to do it!!!

Anywho, the point is, I saw a great band Saturday Night, and I was thinking, I wish I remembered the name so I could find their website and stuff. Anyone care to give their local boys some props and exposure?

·
Registered
892 Posts
max,

I'm the queen of procrastination. I've also found that some of my better papers were ones that I had procrastinated ob...interesting. Maybe it's the stress of making sure it's done, so your whole mind is in it, with no distractions......like hanging out with friends

·
Registered
431 Posts
Max - you're not alone dood. I'm the reigning Queen of procrastination at my Uni, even my Lecturers think its hilarious. Myresults for last semester SUCKED because I left some of my assignments till the last minute
The subject I loved I made sure they were all done on time and I got a High Distinction (92% Yay!) and the other two...well lets just say I would have got a similar mark for one if I'd handed in my essays on time - ended up with a high credit and a PASS
. A pass goddamnit! Its the first one I've ever received.
The bastards changed the penalty system from 1 mark a day to 10% (usually about 3 marks).

I've promised myself this semester will be different - yeah right

As for local bands:

Augie March - www.augie-march.com

The Morning After Girls (dunno website
)

Architecture in Helsinki - AWESOME trippy sounds.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Well, I have two papers due tomorrow and I'm sitting around on here.

I don't write well until I'm thoroughly stressed out, though. I've got rough drafts, but they lack the umph that the stress will add tonight around, say, 11:59.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

I don't write well until I'm thoroughly stressed out, though. I've got rough drafts, but they lack the umph that the stress will add tonight around, say, 11:59.
You know what I hate? I hate when people say "oh no, you can't possibly write your best stuff at the last minute..." Non-paper-writing wankers! I work best when I've done a lot of research, have my thesis and outline done ahead of time, but put the writing off 'til the end. Then I hide in the lie-bury for 2 days and bang it the F-out.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm right there with you. Even if I do spend a lot of time on a paper and actually don't put it off, my last-minute revisions usually add the best sentences. I don't know if I've ever written a good conclusion more than a few hours before something's due.

I don't procrastinate on the research, so I wonder if I'm a true procrastinator? I love all the searching in libraries, but I've got to let it all digest for a bit after I've read the hell out of it. I usually have a lot of notes, some semblance of a draft, but the actual paper doesn't get hammered out for a while.

I'm still not done with those papers. I have 18 hours. There's more to them now than there was this morning, though. So that's something.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

You know what I hate? I hate when people say "oh no, you can't possibly write your best stuff at the last minute..." Non-paper-writing wankers! I work best when I've done a lot of research, have my thesis and outline done ahead of time, but put the writing off 'til the end. Then I hide in the lie-bury for 2 days and bang it the F-out.
Exactly mskedi and max. That's how I work too. Something about stress gets my brain ticking over time. I find if I've had time to revise over and over the writing becomes laboured and usually end up being marked down because of it.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's also great is how I'll clean the F outta my apartment if I have to do something. It's weird, but I get so much cleaning done when I have a midterm the next day. Like right now, my apt is spotless!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

What's also great is how I'll clean the F outta my apartment if I have to do something. It's weird, but I get so much cleaning done when I have a midterm the next day. Like right now, my apt is spotless!
This just proves how much of a dork I am:

Once I had a huge assignment (7-9000 words) due and I'd barely started it so I *gasp* created a database and catalogued ALL of my books and articles - 300+ items. Not just by name and author...oh no, no, no. I now have a library style catalogue including the usual bibliography info PLUS how much the book cost, its ISBN and type (hardcover/softcover) - just in case my house ever burns down, AND which subject/s the book/article comes under.

I'm a geek !

Mind you I still got my essay done that weekend.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am a big procrastinator too. Suddenly my life becomes way to busy to be bothered to do anything i should be doing. As for local music....A lot of the music I listen to is local:

My friends band that I support burningferns Although I have yet to go to a show

Max Creek www.maxcreek.com

my other friends band The F.O.B.E.S

Check em' out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts