VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to emphasize vegan/whole foods in my diet, so I'm eating a lot of insoluble fiber. I've had IBS for the last several years, and I'm very fiber-sensitive, so I try to balance out the insoluble fiber with plenty of soluble fiber, protein- and fat-heavy foods (healthy fats), and some refined grains. But even though I'm trying to limit the insoluble fiber per meal, I'm still experiencing a lot of gas/bloating. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve these issues naturally, rather than with over-the-counter pharmacy items like Beano or simethicone? Maybe a type of tea? I was thinking ginger or anise, but I'm not quite sure.

Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have you tried Fennel tea? It works very well when I have stomach issues. I find it very delicious too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have heard that thistle tea works too, although I've never tried it. Another thing, perhaps you are sensitive to gluten? Try cutting out gluten for a while and see if you feel any better. They make many gluten free breads, pastas, crackers, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fennel and thistle...I'll try those out! Thanks
Actually, I was tested a while back for gluten sensitivity and it came back negative. This was a relief in a sense, but it was also frustrating because there wasn't a simple solution to the problem. Turns out the healthiest foods are what give me discomfort: fruits, veggies, whole grains, and legumes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do they bloat up in your tummy? My mom used to have that, then it sort of went away alone. Maybe the fermentation in the tummy? Have you tried taking beneficial bacteria tablets like Acidophilus? That could help with digestion. Or health food stores also sell natural remedies for bloating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It could be because of cruciferous vegetables! Also, grains and legumes are known to cause some digestion problems. I've heard that cutting out gluten even when you're not intolerant can help digestion. Also, try to incorporate more sprouted grains as well. Nuts and seeds, are best when eaten raw, but really should be soaked to get rid of the enzyme inhibitors that are also known to cause bloating problems. Have you tested for soy and wheat allergies as well? It never hurts to check!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had a lot of those issues as well, and found it can be cyclic ( monthly) however along with the other teas, peppermint/and or peppermint/camomile blend works well for me. You just have a lot of it and it makes a difference. Upping your water intake helps too.

When I first went vegan it persisted for a few weeks, but seems to have settled down, so it might also be a case of your internals getting used to it, but best to have it checked out if it keeps happening to make sure.

Th other common thing that can upset your GI tract is ( sorry to be gross here) threadworm. Very common if you're around kids/pets a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts