Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
From Times Online

February 27, 2007

Prince Charles calls for 'ban' on McDonald's

According to Prince Charles, banning fast food is the key to healthy eating

The Prince of Wales threw his weight into the debate about healthy eating today and told a nutritionist that the "key" was to ban McDonald's fast food restaurants.

The controversial remarks were made as the Prince was in Abu Dhabi attending the launch of a public health awareness campaign aimed at fighting diabetes in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

He visited the Imperial College London Diabetes Centre and watched as a group of children chose from a selection of "good" and "bad" snacks for their school packed lunches.

Talking to Nadine Tayara, a nutritionist from the centre who had put the children through their paces, he asked her: "Have you got anywhere with McDonald's? Have you tried getting it banned? That's the key."

A McDonald's spokeswoman said Charles's remark was "disappointing".
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1447319.ece

Yeah, cuz God forbid the heir to the throne should be a total McD's suck-up, just like his kids.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Wait, so prohibition doesn't work with alcohol or tobacco, but it will with McDonald's?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I don't think it will spur widespread change, but it can't hurt.

11,550 Posts
i'm in argeement with isowish.

i think he's inherited a version of his fathers well known foot-in-mouth disease, in his case its more of a 'talks twaddle' syndrome. really, who would have expected this from the guy who was caught on tape professing his wish to be reincarnated as a tampon?

are we talking about banning eating junk food in schools here, or banning mcdonalds generally? banning something doesn't really fix the root of the problem, does it? ban mcdonalds, people will just eat at burger king instead. ban burger king, and no doubt subway will come up with an extra greasy fried sandwich and people will get their burgers there. whats next, ban sandwiches in their entirety?

if people want to eat junk, they'll find a way. i remember on jamie olivers school dinners, they gave the kids real food, and some of their mums smuggled them kebabs over the school fence at lunchtime. perhaps changing our culture and education around food would be a better start?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts