VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 4-5 months I have been having some really nasty cramping at the beginning of my period. I've heard there are foods you can eat throughout your daily diet (not just during your period) that will help reduce cramps, as well as other things you can do, but I can't remember any of it! I usually eat a very healthy diet and I don't think anything has changed. I've heard that exercising helps, but it seems opposite for me: if I exercise in the few days before, I get bad cramps during exercise and I have to quit because it's too much.

Also, what do you think about soy being a factor in cramps? Anyone know if it helps or hurts? I believe I've heard both. I typically have 2-3 servings of soy a day, usually in the form of soy milk. That's practically all the soy I ever consume.

So anyway, what I want to do is prevent them. I know ways to ease the pain, but I'd rather not have the pain in the first place! Any suggestions would be so awesome!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
A friend of mine once suggested raspberry leaf tea and cutting way back on refined carbs. I've never had cramps though so I don't know if it works for everyone. She swears by it though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The only reliable thing that has ever worked for me is Evening Primrose Oil. It lessens all my PMS symtoms and my cramps. I take two caplets every day of the month with my breakfast and that seems to do the trick.

Be careful because most Evening Primrose are encased in gelatin - I use the VegLife brand that they do not use gelatin. You can buy them on the internet or possibly at a HFS.

Hope you find something that helps - cramps really suck!!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
i stand by the complex carbs. i go through so many grains. i dont know whats in them but they make it ok!

ive been wondering for aaages about the soy thing as well!! some people swear by it, some people don't touch it during the week before!! no idea?! hmm..mysterious...

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I notice when I'm eating raw (100% or at least high raw) I have zero cramps, and zero PMS symptoms. I started eating cooked about 2-3 weeks ago and my boobs felt/feel like they were going to explode for like a week and a half before I finally got my period.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! I talked to my Nutrition professor today, and even she didn't really have any suggestions. To me, it seems logical to increase potassium and calcium intakes, since they help with muscle contractions, and aren't menstrual cramps just muscles working extra hard? I'll have to try some of the ideas you guys have. Thank you a lot! My body will be very happy now...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Extra calcium in your diet. Drink an extra glass of fortified non dairy milk, milk, or orange juice. Have an extra helping of dark leafy greens or a handful of almonds. Take a calcium supplement.

Hot pads work wonders. They're good for back pain that you might get from your period, too. So do hot showers and hot baths.

Moderate exercise and eating less sugar help me too.

I have an IUD now, so the cramps I had have pretty much become nonexistant, but I remember so well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
tearhsong2... really? My IUD has made my cramping *way* worse. It was never much of an issue before and now it can be quite painful.

Heating pads work wonders though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts