VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
They always do this at thanksgiving, and it is really stupid, since I'm sure they go eat a different turkey an hour later.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think I'll celebrate Thanksgiving this year by driving a civilized indigenous people out of their own homes while raping and killing their women and babies and giving them smallpox, then enslaving a beautiful race of birds in tiny cages and mutating them to the point they can no longer sexually reproduce, and then stuff my fat ugly face while pretending to be thankful for all the material garbage and false social acceptance that can't possibly feed the human spirit.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It's bull****. The president doesn't give a damn about turkeys. Neither does anyone else who would eat one.

I HATE this holiday.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just one out of the MILLIONS is saved. Then he goes on to live a crappy life in Disneyland for a year. Yippy.

Seriously, worst holiday ever.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I have always thought this was disgusting and morbid. It IS supposed to be a joke, they think it's funny and cute to see this one little bird 'pardoned' while millions more are being stuffed and roasted

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Whoa! Just found this video from when Sarah Palin was governor of Alaska.... Palin thought it would be a good idea to pardon her own turkey for the attention... While others were being killed in the background.

Warning: Disturbing footage of turkey slaughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJd_vm9VhpU

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I found another link, this one a Huffpo article about the hypocrisy of the situation. I'm glad this is getting so much attention because it really is ridiculous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kersti...usaolp00000009

Quote:
In 1989, the peculiar tradition of pardoning turkeys officially began. Ironically, the to-be-pardoned turkey (and its alternate) are given to the president by the National Turkey Association, a "national advocate" for the turkey industry, i.e. by those who lobby in Washington to "increase demand" for turkeys.

It is an incongruous and bizarre ritual, the camera-friendly exception that only serves to prove the rule. It is a moment of false mercy sponsored by those in the business of being increasingly merciless in the pursuit of profit. A farce designed to make us, as a nation, feel the brief high of witnessing a seemingly compassionate act.

But what about all of those other turkeys that get served up at the White House Thanksgiving dinner? What about the millions and millions of Thanksgiving turkeys without faces, those we don't see until they are dead, naked and neatly wrapped in plastic?

The presidential turkey pardon reminds me of a butcher shop sign with a grinning pig in its logo.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Have fun Josh!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Whoa! Just found this video from when Sarah Palin was governor of Alaska.... Palin thought it would be a good idea to pardon her own turkey for the attention... While others were being killed in the background.

Warning: Disturbing footage of turkey slaughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJd_vm9VhpU
*facepalm*

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
LOL I never understood why they did this, I still like Thanksgiving for Giving Thanks and be Thankful but, this day is also scary, unless someone finds a turkey raised nicely then its not a horrible day.
Just on the news this morning that idiots are camping out at one of our Best buys right now or the black friday deals, not thinking of family members.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I just read this article that's about how animal activists "subvert" this stupid pardon thing: http://www.good.is/post/turkey-how-a...ential-pardon/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I think I'll celebrate Thanksgiving this year by driving a civilized indigenous people out of their own homes while raping and killing their women and babies and giving them smallpox, then enslaving a beautiful race of birds in tiny cages and mutating them to the point they can no longer sexually reproduce, and then stuff my fat ugly face while pretending to be thankful for all the material garbage and false social acceptance that can't possibly feed the human spirit.
Yesterday my sister posted "I'm thankful for 500 years of enslavement, raping and pillaging." I wanted to comment about all of turkeys, but decided against it. If no one else had commented on it before I saw it, I probably would have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts