VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the next couple of weeks, I will have the opportunity to do a presentation on anything I like.

Ideally, I was thinking of doing it on a vegetarian or vegan based theme.

Does anyone have any ideas as what I could include in it?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
What about "Vegetarianism as a lifestyle, not a diet" - then you could include many different aspects of vegetarianism, and highlight many well known vegetarians, etc.

Vegetarianism throughout history? - Plato, Da Vinci, Einstein etc?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I would be tempted to illustrate the inconsistancy in the way most people view cats/dogs and the way they view cows/pigs/chickens/etc. but I think you'd upset a lot of people and you'd have to be prepared for that.

The environment is a safer topic as is animal testing, especially cosmetic animal testing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let us know when you've decided so that we can recommend sources, etc.

If you were to do 'veg as lifestyle, not diet' you could

1. look at the philosophy behind veg. Focus on two or three thinkers.

2. Animal rights as an idea throughout history - pick up Man and the Natural World, by Thomas (which focuses on animal thought 1400-1600) and Animal Rights: Political and Social Change in Britain from 1800, by Hilda Kean. Explore the origins of the 'modern sensibility'

3. Begin by exploring how moral decisions are reduced to dietetic choices. The political (veg as lifestyle) becomes personal (veg as diet) etc, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.