VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a vegatarian for over 15 years and am now trying to get pregnant. Is there anything that I need to be doing to stay healthy and help make sure that my baby will also be healthy? I have been reading a lot, but wanted to make sure that I haven't missed something.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I'm hoping to join the camp with you sometime soon ;-)

There are some books that contain information about vegetarian pregnancy, including "Becoming Vegan", "Becoming vegetarian" and the like. Here is a link I found on babycenter.com.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pre...n/1313874.html

Sounds like most experts agree that being pregnant and vegetarian is no problem. One of my best friends has been vegetarian for life, and her mother, and her mother before that.... and my friend has a masters in chemical engineering and is wonderfully bright. So don't worry! You can have a healthy baby with no problems :)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
in bstutzma's post about 'babies on the brain' in the relationship section, i put a list of books that provides information about vegetarian pregnancy and pregnancy in general. also, bstutuzma has a post in the general health section about prenatal vitamins that also has some specific diet books (i think).

so, check out those two threads for information about it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm on my second pregnancy..having another large healthy child..and all I can stress is a good prenatal (even before you get preg) and plenty of exercise! walking is always good, esp at the end when all you feel like you can do is waddle! LoL

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree about the good prenatal vitamin! I have two kids, one of which was born without me ever eating meat. She was slightly smaller at birth (6 pounds 14 ounces), but is chubby and long now!

I love my prenatal vitamins called Optinate. They are vegetarian and combine the DHA pill with it. So if you have prescription coverage it's a bonus!

·
Registered
471 Posts
if you eat a lot of soy... stop. It took me a long time to figure this out. I went from eating soy once a day, plus drinking it a few times a day to JUST having one soy latte in the am and soy for an entree once every other day. It made a huge impact on fertility.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I looked up the optimate, but it looks like it has gelatin in it... maybe the one you take doesn't? I've been trying to find a good vegatarian prenatal with no vitamin A to no avail.... I'm taking one that has vitamin A in the form of beta carotene but its 4 pills a day and I don't like that. I like that the opimate has DHA, though....

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I looked up the optimate, but it looks like it has gelatin in it... maybe the one you take doesn't? I've been trying to find a good vegatarian prenatal with no vitamin A to no avail.... I'm taking one that has vitamin A in the form of beta carotene but its 4 pills a day and I don't like that. I like that the opimate has DHA, though....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

rainbow light makes a fantastic one a day prenatal.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edamommy View Post

rainbow light makes a fantastic one a day prenatal.
Except that it has 5000 IU of Vitamin A Palmitate, which has been shown in one study to increase change of neural birth defects in excess of 10,000 IU's. It wouldn't be a big deal except that EVERYTHING from cottage cheese, to soymilk, to cereals, to margarine is fortified with the stuff :p I'm afraid of getting too much.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm 3 months pregnant now, and it seems like everything I read about what to eat when you're pregnant is all veggie food! They always say 'make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, greens, legumes, nuts, and fruits. Vary your diet as much as possible". Then they always add lean meats, and low fat dairy, but the main stuff pregnant women are *supposed* to eat is all veggie stuff! Wooo hooo! It's the healthiest.

Good luck with concieving a little one!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Nice to find someone else in the same boat! (kind of) I just joined the forum today, and I am 9 months pregnant now, due TOMORROW! I've been a vegetarian for a few years, and as long as you're not a junk food veggie, I'd say you're all set. At my first prenatal appointment, I mentioned to my doctor that I was a vegetarian, to see if there were any concerns, and she told me that if it was up to her, she'd have everyone be a vegetarian, and she'd work less.

So I've gone through the entire 9 months basically not changing much from my regular diet, except to add a good multivitamin, and everything has been perfect. All my blood tests were perfect, no extra sugar or protein, wight gain was right on target.

So to sum up, if you have a healthy diet now, you really don't have to change anything. Add a multivitamin (prenatal) and maybe an extra cup of soymilk a day. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I will, thanks! But seeing as it's almost 6 here now, I'm guessing that the monkey is not coming today and will be late. grrr...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been vege for life and I have two little girls. Both pgs I took vege prenatals and cut back on all the junk food. I was never anemic or malnurished. My midwife and her entire office were very supportive of my diet choices. Once you labor and deliver keep up the good foods for breast feeding. Good luck and happy motherhood.

I just reread you first post. I don't know if you have ever read or looked into "Taking Charge of your Fertility" but it is a wonderful book for ttc. There is a whole community online as well at www.ovusoft.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only thing I changed about my diet was switching from soy milk in my morning protein shake to cows milk...my ob said I needed the vitamin b12 which comes only in animal milk. Was easy since I am not vegan. pregnancy was beautiful, baby boy is now 4 months old and was 8lbs. 13 oz when born. Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've heard alot about Folic Acid?

(I am also trying to become pregnant)

What is Folic Acid? Is it an animal product? Does it have animal products in it?

Slightly worried about this issue as I'm aware it's something that I "should" perhaps be taking......

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sararie View Post

..and all I can stress is a good prenatal (even before you get preg) and plenty of exercise!
I think those are two of the best things you can do... especially the exercise!!!!

I never stopped moving and had an increddibly easy and fast homebirth with a gentle recovery! I was still kyaking the river 7 months preggo and waddling 1-3 miles a day up until the day my daughter was born.

I never understood just how amazing and miraculous live really is until I took part in it first hand. Enjoy your journey of motherhood.

love and blessings

echo

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmoonbeam View Post

I've heard alot about Folic Acid?

(I am also trying to become pregnant)

What is Folic Acid? Is it an animal product? Does it have animal products in it?

Slightly worried about this issue as I'm aware it's something that I "should" perhaps be taking......
All women of childbearing age need to take folic acid, just in CASE they get pregnant. Folic acid does not come from animals. It is absolutely VITAL for the development of your baby's neural tube. Some cases of spina bifida are from lack of folic acid in first 2 weeks of pregnancy.

Start taking it NOW. There is no "perhaps" about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know the government requires it to be in a lot of foods specifically for that reason. =/ That's about as much as I know about it though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts