VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been having trouble with meat cravings while pregnant. I wonder if anyone else had this problem and what they did to counter them. >^..^<

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i would suggest eating high protein foods when you crave meat. or a vegan meat replacer that will maybe give you the texture as well..

i had a vegetarian friend who craved chicken sandwiches while pregnant. she had been veggie for a few years, but decided she would just do as her body asked. she ate the chicken and felt better. i think twice.

so all i can really say is do what seems best for you. i personally would try alternatives first. if those do not work i would then decide what to do.

good luck and warm wishes for you and your baby.!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I just wanted to say good luck on your pregnancy and congratulations too! I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say that, at least.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had two pregnancies as a vegetarian. I never had a meat "craving" but I felt very weak (unlike with my earlier pregnancies) and so I ate meat to see if it would make me feel stronger. It did not. So, with my last pregnancy, I never ate a bite.

Anyone can have a craving for a food that is not good for them at any time. Like has already been said, I would try eating meat subs instead.

Have a good pregnancy

·
Registered
892 Posts
Usually when a woman has cravings, it's because there's something in the food she's craving that her body needs. It may not be the actual meat that you need, but the stuff that you get out of it. Are you eating enough iron and protein. When you're pregnant you need more because you're giving it all to the baby. By the way, congratulations. You are blessed!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pregnancy cravings are so strange! Both of my pregnancies were vegetarian. With my first I had a serious aversion to peanut butter...with my second, I craved it constantly! Is there something else that would satisfy your craving? Peanut butter? Beans? Tempeh? Do you eat dairy? Yogurt and Cottage Cheese are great sources of protein and might help with the craving.

You have to decide what is best for you and your baby. It's very important to get proper nutrition and listen to what your body is telling you at this time. Only you can decide what that really means. Good luck and blessings for your pregnancy and your new little one!

Christa

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been eating more meat substitutes. Also the prenatals help alot. I find i only have the craving when i forget to take a prenatal vitamin. So maybe lack of iron? anyway thank you for all the good advice . >^..^<

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would not advise eating meat. There is nothing in meat that you can not get from plant sources.

When I ate meat during my first pregnancy, (twice) I had only been a vegetarian for a couple of years and was unnecessarily insecure about my diet, additionally, I felt weak.

You are not saying anything about feeling weak; anyway...you just want the flavor of meat. You can come very close, with fake meats.

I think many cravings are "all in your head" and don't really mean anything. Haven't you ever wanted a food very much, but you just don't have it...so, you just go to bed and when you wake up in the morning - that "craving" is magically gone?

Just be sure you are eating a healthy well rounded veg diet and then try not to worry...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok, I know this thread is about meat cravings, but I just wanted to say that I craved LEMONS the whole time I was pregnant. Lemonaide, lemon heads, lemon wafers, lemon cake, lemon sented candles. But the really weird thing was I could not stand the smell of the lemon sented handsoap at our kitchen sink! I had to put it away until after my son was born! Weird.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Pregnancy is weird. My nose and my tastebuds were sooooooo out of whack when I was pregnant. I went from being nearly vegan before my pregnancy(no dairy but occasional egg as an ingredient), back to eating dairy during part of my pregnancy (not on purpose but it was a small ingredient in a dish that I craved all the time) and then totally vegan the day my son was born. I did eat a slice of chicken deli meat at one point during my pregnancy, and was so grossed out afterwards. After not eating it for so long, it really does taste like dead rotting animal, rather than nourishing edible food.

Chicken style seitan is my favorite thing to eat when I want something "meaty". I fry it up with strips of red or green peppers, onions, and portobello mushrooms and serve in a ww tortilla with some vegenaise. YUM! Like a fajita, only no dead animals!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts