VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first-year pre-Education student (elementary years with teaching areas in English and biology) and am madly searching for summer employment. I had no idea it would be so difficult! There are plenty of options available in retail and food services, but I'm really after something that will provide me with more child care experience in preparation for the program I hope to enter.<br><br><br><br>
So far, I've considered working as a nanny or camp counselor (and am planning to apply for several positions), but could anyone suggest other jobs which might be worth considering?<br><br><br><br>
Help!

11,550 Posts
do you have any museums or science centres near you? somewhere that is quite hands on? you could get a job working with kids in interactive exhibits- getting them involved in learning things and having fun- something like this would give you experience of working with kids, as aposed to looking after them- i think the interaction can be somewhat different.<br><br><br><br>
similarly if you've got local libraries, youth groups, churches or schools nearby, running literature/creative writing/english as a second language, (or even things that use similar skills, like movie making, drama, cookery, etc) summer schemes with kids- they'd probably appreciate a student with a keen interest in the specialty area they're working in and it'd be good experience for you.<br><br><br><br>
you could also volunteer to run (with support) an additional part of an existing summerschool/club plan- if they're not doing any fun science and english things in an existing plan. google for some short workshops you could try running, (there is LOADS of fun stuff you can do to do with science and english!), put together some plans, try them out on some kids or silly grown-ups (relatives, friends, etc) that you already know, to see what works and what doesn't, and then approach the summerschool, and offer the group your proposal to lead some stuff yourself! (how pro-active would that be, lol?.. would look excellent on a resume too *wink wink*)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I worked every summer when I was at Uni for the public library running their Summer reading program. I got to travel to all the branches in our parish (county to those of you not from Louisiana) and read/do storytelling etc. It was great. Try to look at your Library. Good luck.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Keelin..there's no doubt in my mind that you should be able to find employment for the summer. I've worked in childcare for um, 12 years now and not once did we fail to hire summer help. Many places offer summer camps for children when school's out. The dates they need someone would probably be a few weeks less than a university summer break, but only by a bit. Some good places to start would be the YMCA, Boys' and Girls' Club, Community Centres, etc. I can't remember if you're in the US, but if so, you could contact your local Childcare Information Office. It should be listed in the telephone book, but you can also contact the people at <a href="http://www.naccrra.org" target="_blank">NACCRRA</a> to help you locate an office near you.<br><br><br><br>
Also, does your colleg/university have any sort of career office? When I was in uni, that was a gold mine for childcare/teaching jobs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice so far!<br><br><br><br>
I'm located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Canada). Unfortunately, it's a fairly small city, which translates to very little in the way of museums, etc. We have the Western Development Museum (errr) and Wanuskewin (which predominantly hires Aboriginal staff or students/graduates in archaeology, etc). I did check out our public library's programs- they have far more than I realised! They do offer a tutoring program once per week until the end of March, which I am going to contact them about. It is volunteer-only, however, so doesn't help much in that regard.<br><br><br><br>
Is there a Canadian equivalent to the Childcare Information Office? I've been keeping an eye out for jobs available with our YMCA/YWCA, but have only seen one posting, which was searching for a full-time, mature person, rather than a summer/student placement. I'm sure I saw something about the Boys' and Girls' Club not too long ago, but didn't recognise it at the time- I'll definitely look more into that!<br><br><br><br>
My university (the University of Saskatchewan) does offer a list of job postings, but they are mostly retail or academic, neither of which I am particularly interested in unless my other opportunities all fall through. I discovered one of the jobs I currently plan to apply for (instructing a Science & Technology day camp) through their listings, but haven't seen much else. I am looking back regularly.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks for all of the great feedback, anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, to add to that I've sent off another email to a nearby camp (St. John Bosco, although I am not entirely sure whether they are planning to hire counselors at all- there is no mention of it on their web page) as well as the Saskatoon Boys' and Girls' Club. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something comes of either of them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts