VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Friday was the convocation date for my fi and I. Whilst I did go in support of her, I chose not to participate myself. This choice was made for several reasons, however one reason stood out above the rest. I did not feel there was a reason for me to receive special honours for graduating university. Graduating was well within my own abilities, and so was not remarkable at all. That is to say, I did not go above and beyond my own abilities to accomplish something amazing. A peasant in a Third-World Nation who saves his village from being starved by desertification, deserves far more merit than I.

There have been a number of things I have noticed recently that have disenfranchised me from the idea that I deserve any kind of accolades for graduating. A prime example of this came in the form of a university magazine some three months ago. One of the alumni from my university had donated a portion of his large wealth, to help pay for the construction of a new building. The fact that the building was named after him was arrogant enough, but his picture was plastered on the cover of the alumni magazine with the title A gift from the heart scribed across the front. Inside was an article on the man, in which he was toted as being some kind of hero. All this because a very rich man gave away some money. I read the whole article, and at no point did anyone ask why this man had not used his money to help those who truly needed it. Some hero.

I think that these two bits of dialog from the movie Braveheart, give a good illustration of what I have been feeling lately,

Robert: (to William) I respect what you said, but remember that these men have lands and castles. It's much to risk.

William: And the common man who bleeds on the battlefield, does he risk less?

Leper: I'm the one who's rotting but I think your face looks graver than mine. Son, we must have alliance with England to prevail here. You achieved that. You saved your family, increased your land. In time, you will have all the power in Scotland.

Robert: Lands, titles, men, power, nothing.

Leper: Nothing?

Robert: I have nothing.

The speech made at my convocation by the Principle of the university, was filled with words of superiority and dominance. While he did not directly say that he felt we were superior to other people in this world and this nation, the idea was laced throughout his speech. He spoke of the other people in Canada who are unable to attend our university, and how they willingly give their money to support those of us who can. While he didnt explicitly state that he was referring to those people who dont (or didnt) have the ability to achieve the grades required to enter our university, it was obvious that that was what he meant.

That speech was almost as bad as the speech he gave when we first came to this university, in which he told us flat out that we were the best students Canada had to offer, and that we would be leading our nation into the future. I remember my friend and I turning to each other with shocked looks on our faces, unable to believe the kind of propaganda that was being spewed in our direction.

At any rate, thank you for letting me speak what was on my mind, and venting that which was bothering me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I didn't go to my university grad either because I also didn't think it was much of an accomplishment. I've done more difficult things in my life.

However, for some people, it marks the end of a very significant time of their lives, and therefore a ceremony is warranted. Unfortunately, along with the ceremony comes a lot of BS and cliched banter. It's just one of those things you just bite your lip and sit through.

In regards to the dominance comments, I noticed thru my 4 years of university that there really is this unconscious sense of superiority among university students. Even I felt it sometimes, like I was "better" than the cleaning lady at the mall. We shouldn't really be promoting it though. Most of us push these feelings away and do not act or think they are any better than other people, but I think the feeling is always there, even if it's just a teeny bit.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I KNOW I'm better than the cleaning lady at the mall.

Just kidding. I worked a shift at the local taco hut instead of going to my college graduation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I doubt I will go to mine this fall. I have issues with some of the higher ups at the university and I am not big on ceremony or formality. I didn't go to school for this. I might end up going for my family though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I went surfing instead of going to my Master degree graduation. It was just too nice a day to be spoiled in black nylon gown.

no, I can't even stand in the surfboard, hehehe.....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I went to my undergrad graduation because it was expected. I didn't go to my honours graduation. I will be going to my PhD graduation, for different reasons. One, it's a difficult process. (More difficult than undergrad). Two, it's setting an example. But I admire why you didn't participate Shamus. I just switch off when they start talking sh*te like that. Way to alienate the relatives!

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Now don't hit me, Shamus, but I Honor you for your humble spirit. Youz a good kid!

When I graduated I went every time. My parents would have killed me or died of a heart attack if I hadn't. It was their reward.

I must have had the same old windbag. I tuned the old codger out about the 3rd sentence. He at least had the sense to not talk more than 20 minutes. Of course we were hippies and someone was down front giving him the hand rotation signal for "hurry up/wrap it up". We were graduating. What could they do to the guy down front at that point?

Congrats on your escape!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't know if I will go to my college graduation for several reasons. I'll be spending an extra semester at my college because of studying abroad next semester, and they won't let me walk across the stage with my class. Because of five classes I'll be taking the following semester, they won't let me participate in the ceremony of May '04. There is no graduation ceremony in December '04 after all of my classes are done, so I will have to wait until May '05 to participate in "my" graduation ceremony if I choose to. I believe they would give me my diploma in December '04 if I were moving out of state for a job or something like that.

There is a graduation ceremony in August every year for those graduating after they finish their summer classes, but for those who finish up in December, they have to wait if they want to be part of the formalities. Now, I have nothing against the people who will be graduating in May '05, but I started with the class of '04, and I'd like to walk across the stage with them if I can. However, it doesn't look like I will be able to, so I may just chuck the whole thing and grab my diploma when I'm done. I never liked the full-robed ceremonies we had in my first three years of college, and I can't imagine I'd particularly enjoy the graduation ceremony either.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'd like to add that when I graduated from high school, my ceremony consisted of friends and relatives assembled in my living room to hear me and my parents give short speeches and them handing me a diploma they'd made. Homeschooling is great! I want to have a graduation party in December '04, and I know my church will have some kind of grad recognition for me, as they always do for HS and college grads.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i didn't go to my grad for college. i felt like it was a useless program and i pretty much hated and was hated by almost everyone in my class. so why bother. i got my diploma in the mail so it's all good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts