VeggieBoards banner

Power project to burn dead cows

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  h1pp1eboy 
#1 ·
Quote:
A multi-million-pound project is under way in Aberdeenshire to turn dead cows into a clean energy source. The new plant being built near Kintore aims to generate electricity for the National Grid by burning animal products supplied by local abattoirs. The Oran Group is aiming to create Scotland's first renewable energy plant using biomass materials as fuel. ... By the summer, Oran hopes to get permits to begin rendering down animal by-products at the plant. Within two years, it hopes to have permission to use these same products as a fuel source which it said would generate enough electricity round the clock to power 9,000 homes.
Full story: BBC News

#5 ·
If it's just by-products that they need to get rid of (and that's what I understood from the full article) then I think it's better than disposing of the 'material' in another way (like landfill?). The cows are going to be killed anyway, they are just using the waste products to produce energy.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying 'great, cow electricity!', just that if you're going to kill the cow, you may as well use all of it.

If they were just going for renewable energy it would make more sense to use straight vegetable matter (e.g. Miscanthus).

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madder View Post

If it's just by-products that they need to get rid of (and that's what I understood from the full article) then I think it's better than disposing of the 'material' in another way (like landfill?). The cows are going to be killed anyway, they are just using the waste products to produce energy.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying 'great, cow electricity!', just that if you're going to kill the cow, you may as well use all of it.

If they were just going for renewable energy it would make more sense to use straight vegetable matter (e.g. Miscanthus).
I totlay agree with this but also i agree useing cows as electricty is not the best method but they are going to die anyway and al least there not sucking power out of the earth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.