VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend seems to think potatoes are unhealthy. I have looked up their nutritional profiles using several resources and cant really see anything about them that is bad. A plain potatoe by itself that has not been ladden with tons of oil or cream or cheese or other crap is pretty damned good. Why do people not look at the nutritional facts. The sad thing is it was probably a dietician that told her that potatoes were bad. Bah... just Bah...

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Potatoes are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
while they do contain a nice amt of nutrients, they are metabolized quickly, leading to spiking blood sugars-hence, the statement of staying away from white foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, and white bread. MOST people per se though, eat their potatoes as french fries or potato chips, which is laden with fat and sodium. A nice small to moderate sized potato though, certainly is pretty harmless for most people, and if eaten with high fiber foods, slows down the blood sugar spike

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah.

Potatoes are great foods. They are just heavy enough to meal "stick to your ribs" without adding fats to the meal.

I use a sliced potato to thicken soups, and make them more filling.

Thanks to the carbs-are-bad diet plans out there, potatoes haven been removed from WIC lists.
(WIC = A food stamp program. Low income families can apply for assistance in paying for groceries. There are limitation to what you can purchase. You can't spend your food allowance on beer, for example. You can no longer buy a bag of potatoes from the produce department using assistance like this, because "potatoes contribute to childhood obesity.")

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Thanks to the carbs-are-bad diet plans out there, potatoes haven been removed from WIC lists.
(WIC = A food stamp program. Low income families can apply for assistance in paying for groceries. There are limitation to what you can purchase. You can't spend your food allowance on beer, for example. You can no longer buy a bag of potatoes from the produce department using assistance like this, because "potatoes contribute to childhood obesity.")
WHAT.

Anyhoo, I love potatoes! They're fairly cheap, nutritious and extremely versatile. They're perfect for soups, boiled, baked, with soy joghurt on top, in stirfries, as potato salad... And of course I as a German have a deep love for potatoes anyway

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I love potatoes!! They are one of the most versatile foods around and I make them several different ways. A homemade french fry once in a while will not kill you! And as long as you don't bury the potato in mounds of butter or sour cream, it isn't that high in calories. Also is a very economical food as you can usually find a 5 pound bag on sale for around $3.
Yay for taters!!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I used to just buy the cheap potatoes, until I tried a bag of organic. I will never go back, nor eat regular potatoes again.
I didn't make them often, and my old bags would easily stay the stay for a good month, or longer. The organic started growing after 10 days! That impressed me. But mostly, they taste soooo much better!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I have found even the organic potatoes on sale which is totally awesome!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Yeah.

Potatoes are great foods. They are just heavy enough to meal "stick to your ribs" without adding fats to the meal.

I use a sliced potato to thicken soups, and make them more filling.

WTF???? That pisses me off!!!

I love sweet potatoes but white are pretty fantastic as well.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
depends on if you sit down with a half a plate of mashed potatoes with butter and gravy on them! I actually had no idea they took them off the WIC allowed foods....that's pretty crazy.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

while they do contain a nice amt of nutrients, they are metabolized quickly, leading to spiking blood sugars-hence, the statement of staying away from white foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, and white bread. MOST people per se though, eat their potatoes as french fries or potato chips, which is laden with fat and sodium. A nice small to moderate sized potato though, certainly is pretty harmless for most people, and if eaten with high fiber foods, slows down the blood sugar spike
I'm pretty sure sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index (they supposedly produce smaller fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels, http://www.glycemicindex.com/ ) than plain white potatoes.

Either way, I can't STAND white potatoes....baked, fried, mashed, ANYTHING! (some Irish gal I am!) I do like plain baked sweet potatoes with salt and cinnamon.
Good stuff.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
you gotta be kidding me. potatoes are awesome! red potatoes, white potatoes, idaho potatoes, sweet potatoes. they even have little buttery tasting potatoes. that's a staple for me. i love them sliced and microwaved with a little water in the plate (i cover it with a lid) so they're not too dry. those are great with ketchup.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't buy into either side of the debate. You need carbohydrates, proteins, and fats of several types, and the second two will lower the base glycemic index of carbohydrates they are consumed in combination with. So... I'm happy to enjoy a baked potato with a bunch of fattening stuff on it and, guess what, I'm fine :p

The only things I strictly avoid are excessive sweets (one dessert per week), hydrogenated fats, and unnecessary chemicals. I've taken in plenty of literature from all sides, and both the anti carb and the anti saturated fats crowd are full of it as far as I'm concerned. Eat clean, don't overdo it, and be active.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I am a potato fanatic! Love them in nearly any way, shape, or form. Potatoes are indeed absolutely awesome.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts