VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend, god love her, attempted to make a creamy vegan potato soup. She didn't realize, however, that she had selected a vanilla flavored almond milk. (Don't ask me why she picked almond over soy in the first place....) The results were ... interesting.

I still want to make a potato soup, but I'm thinking of not even going for the creaminess factor ... maybe just veggie broth with loads of potatoes and some onions, celery, and carrots.

Unless ... does anyone have a "creamy" recipe that works?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You could always reserve a few cups of the cooked potatoes and puree them with a little of the broth to create a creamy base. Then stir into the rest of the soup.

I used to make a potato leek soup with no cream or milk.

Just cooked the potatoes and leeks in a veggie stock until they were soft and threw it in the blender to puree.

My $.02

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking something like that might work, dawngirl -- thanks!

Would anyone use soymilk or silken tofu....?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I make a very simple but tastey potato soup. I just cook potatoes, as I would for mashed potatoes, but do not drain off the water. Then, when the potatoes are soft, I puree them with my hand blender, add salt, pepper and soymilk.

Sometimes, I cook a few carrots with the potatoes.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is my Potato and Corn Soup.

I brown in 1tsp of oil and 1/2 cup of red wine, 2 carrots chopped in rounds, 2 stalks of celery and 1/2 cup of onions. Set aside.

I boil 1 lb of potatoes (Scrubbed and peeled) in water.

Drain off water and add 3 cups of vegtable broth

Add carrots, onions and celery to the mix bring to a simmer.

Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn. Simmer till corn is tender

I add the mixture the blender a cupful at a time and blend until smooth.

Sometimes I puree the whole recipe, sometimes I leave part of it chunky just to be sassy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.