VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I were joking about this and then I realized would it be that bad?

It would go (This is just an example):

6 AM: Breakfast (Oatmeal, fruit, eggs, etc)

9 AM: Snack (Yogurt, veggies)

12 PM: Lunch: (Potato and soup or salad)

3 PM: Snack: (Fruit, rice, etc)

6 PM: Dinner: (Potato and soup or salad)

I really like potatoes and they are really cheap as well as easy to transport. I mean I know I wouldn't be able to be on a potato diet forever, but it is healthy and would give me a layout not to cheat.

WDYT?

·
Banned
111 Posts
I dont think its strange or anything. Lots of people eat potatoes every day. If you like potatoes then go for it! their yummy! Why dont you eat potatoes for breakfast too! Sometimes I bake a bunch of potatoes in the oven and eat them all week!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
It depends. Are you JUST eating a potato, or are you putting all sorts of junk on it?? (i.e. butter, cheese, sour cream) Also, how are you preparing it? It'd be bad if it were fried in any way. If you're JUST eating a plain baked/microwaved potato, then I don't think it would hurt anything. If you're loading it up with things, then I wouldn't recommend it. I might also replace out one white potato a day with a sweet potato, because they're super healthy, and make sure you eat all the potato skin, which is where most of the nutrients are. I've heard recommendations to eat a potato, apple, or salad prior to eating your meal to help curb your appetite.

Overall, the extra fruit/veggies sounds like it would be an improvement for you.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That sounds almost exactly like my diet at school, because they don't serve anything with variety for vegetarians (our choice for dinner every day is a baked potato or pasta with marinara sauce as the main course). I haven't gotten ill yet, if that says anything.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might put a little spray butter on in just for flavor....

As I said, I am not sure if I am going to do this, it was just a thought...

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think i'll try this too! at my high school, the only vegan meal they have is a baked potato with a bag of fruit and veggies! i can do that at night too! thanks!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
The sample diet you laid out looks like it's lacking in protein, unless you make sure to put some beans or tofu in the soup. You could put some low fat veggie chili or baked beans or black beans on the baked potato as well to add in protein- it will also help to fill you up longer.

The sweet potato idea is a good one too. They are higher in nutrients and tasty without even adding butter. For a low cal white potato flavor boost try some lemon juice and oregano!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikat View Post

My mom and I were joking about this and then I realized would it be that bad?

It would go (This is just an example):

6 AM: Breakfast (Oatmeal, fruit, eggs, etc)

9 AM: Snack (Yogurt, veggies)

12 PM: Lunch: (Potato and soup or salad)

3 PM: Snack: (Fruit, rice, etc)

6 PM: Dinner: (Potato and soup or salad)

I really like potatoes and they are really cheap as well as easy to transport. I mean I know I wouldn't be able to be on a potato diet forever, but it is healthy and would give me a layout not to cheat.

WDYT?
I'm not a big fan of temporary diets. What keeps you from cheating when you come off your diet. In the end nothing has changed. You need to change your eating patterns for good. I would hate to see you set yourself up for failure. Most people who come off temporary diets gain back the weight....and then some. I know you can change your habits, I have the utmost faith.

How about:

Breakfast: Protein, Oats, Fruit

AM Snack: raw fruit or veggies or smoothie

Lunch: Protein, Potato, Brown Rice or Sweet Potato, veggie, fat

Afternoon Snack: raw fruit or veggies or smoothie

Dinner: Protein, Carb, Veggie

PM Snack: raw veggie, fat

Rice, potatoes, fruit and veggie servings should be about the size of your closed fist. A protein portion is the size of the palm of your hand. Fat servings are approx 1 tablespoon. No need to measure, just eyeball it. Never go more than 3 hours without eating. Drink water as soon as you rise. Your body has been without water all night.

6 small meals keeps your met. rocking and the fat keeps you from being hungry. You should also incorporate water, about a gallon per day. Keep it with you and sip it throughout your day.

Exercise (you knew I was going there) min of 3x's weekly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No, this would not be a good idea

Studies are showing that potatoes are just as bad for you as white bread

They raise blood sugar quickly (GI level)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I don't think it's that bad at all. Granted, there are a few ways you WOULDN'T want to eat them (like say, as crisps or french fries
) but to incorporate them into the overall diet isn't bad at all, IMO.

Just make sure you're balancing that potato in with the rest of your food instead of living solely off them (which it sounds like you want to do anyway, but ya know I've gotta mention it
). Nutritiondata.com can help you with the actual numbers so you know where you stand nutritionally.

If you're the type to like them baked and loaded with sour cream and butter, then consider topping them with home-made vegan saure cream and vegan butter just to save calories and up the nutrition factor. HOWEVER, I've found they're actually better when topped with a handful or two of random veggies and a half-can or so of some beans, drained and rinsed (if you're using a nuke, just bake the potato first, pile on the yummies then nuke again.). They're also damn live when topped with a good salsa or a killer veg chili/baked beans and OH! let's not forget about stirring various veggies into mashed potatoes. Kale, caramelized onions, corn, last night's veggie scramble... the list is endless. So are the possibilities.

The trick with potatoes is to sorta treat them like just another member of the root family instead of a separate food unto itself (think of them as the tofu of the plant world, only easier to master
). The other trick with them is never let them get caramelized or browned - that process turns the starch into some nasty chemical that isn't good for the body (and iirc, it also sabotages weight loss, too but I'll have to find where I read that).

wrt to the glycemic index.... yes, potatoes have a high GI and a somewhat high GL, but I've always heard is to eat potatoes with other low GI foods so they release slowly with everything else. That's the method I use and so far, it works just fine.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
i think that if you were to add veggies to your potato and not make it the main part of your meal, you would fare well. Try Colcannon?

however, I think that you can't live on this forever so you might watn to try finding something that is sustainable (mine is "all in moderation")

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post

No, this would not be a good idea

Studies are showing that potatoes are just as bad for you as white bread

They raise blood sugar quickly (GI level)
Yep, lots of sugar in a potato. I love them tho!!! But if the OP is looking to lose weight, potatoes aren't going to cut it. I imagine they would pack the pounds on. The best diet is minimal pasta, bread and potato (my fav foods).

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Potato Diet sounds similar to Mary's Mini-McDougall Diet. It's a ten-day diet restricted to one kind of starch accompanied by green/yellow veggies. You choose the starch you want (potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, corn, winter squash) and eat this starch for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for ten days. The idea is that a monotonous diet will lead to a decrease in caloric intake. Here is a link to the McDougall website that will explain more. http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm

I prefer Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live plan. It is highly nutritious with unlimited non-starchy vegetables, fruits, beans. It is generally limited to one serving of starch a day. Here is a link to his website. www.drfuhrman.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts