VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Stars featured on new postage stamps honoring vegetarians
Mohandas Gandhi, Pythagoras, Pamela Anderson and Bob Barker are featured on 44-cent stamps made by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

By Nita Lelyveld, Los Angeles Times

November 29, 2011, 10:58 p.m.
It isn't every day that Pamela Anderson shares billing with Pythagoras.

But that was just one of many oddities on display Tuesday outside the Hollywood Post Office, where the blond bombshell joined former game-show host Bob Barker to promote postage stamps featuring famous vegetarians.

The limited-edition sheet of 20 44-cent stamps produced and sold by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, makes for an unusual assemblage linking Anderson, Barker, Woody Harrelson and Joan Jett to Pythagoras, Mohandas Gandhi, Leonardo da Vinci and Leo Tolstoy.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2588203.story

At first I thought they were issued by the USPS and thought, "Wow! I thought I'd never see THAT in my lifetime!" It turns out that they were actually issued by PETA. But, better than nothing. It's a clever way to promote vegetarianism, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Cool! More exposure is always a good thing

·
Registered
642 Posts
Neat! Having a series of stamps for famous vegetarians is definitely positive news. Still, seeing some of those names grouped together is a little weird.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I'm confused. Are these stamps actually legal postage stamps? Or just decorative items that take the form of postage (or postage-like) stamps?

I'd like to see people like Chrissie Hynde, John Robbins, Howard Lyman and Erik Marcus honored.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that they're worth 44 cents? But then again, for a set of 20 stamps, you have to pay $19.99. So, I would think not many people would actually use them

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
They are legal stamps if they have the scan codes on them. You can't tell from the LA Times photo whether those stamps have codes on them though.

You can put virtually any image you want on a postage stamp at sites like Zazzle... your pets, your kids, whatever... Except you are paying a premium for the novelty... $20 for a sheet of 44 cent stamps that would go for $8.80 at the post office.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know either if they are legal stamps. Even if that was the case, they might be worth more to stamp collectors than to people needing to send something via snail mail (and unfortunately not as many people use snail mail as they used to), but again, extra exposure is always a good thing.

ETA: I see a lot of criticism on VB from members about many of the outrageous and negative tactics used by PETA to gain attention for their activities and promote their GO VEG and anti animal abuse messages. Well, one of the reasons I posted this thread was because this is actually one of the more positive and more conventional attempts by PETA to promote their GO VEG campaign. So there.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I don't know either if they are legal stamps. Even if that was the case, they might be worth more to stamp collectors than to people needing to send something via snail mail (and unfortunately not as many people use snail mail as they used to), but again, extra exposure is always a good thing.
I spoke with a USPS employee, Cynthia, who was* a friend and part of our social group, who deeply resented what she felt was the derogatory term "snail mail." She said the correct, non-derogatory term was/is "surface mail." Just FYI.

* "Was" in the sense that she became more distant with our group, and then literally became even more distant by moving from Tennessee to California without telling us, except for one person (through whom I learned about Cynthia's move). C'est la vie.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes I am a daughter of a retired postal employee and also still he is active in the union, we don't like the term snail mail but, I use it among internet email groups.
Its great that PETA is trying to get some positive things for their go veg stance, I don't like most of their ranchy stuff but, I do go on their websites once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've always just used the term, "the mail."

I've never understood the need for "snail" or "surface" or whatever. Standard mail is "mail", mail by airplane is "air mail", mail via the internet is "email."

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the term snail mail because I've seen and heard it used elsewhere, and I was trying to differentiate that type of mail from e-mail. It wasn't meant to offend anyone, but if I did, I apologize.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
How they leave out Einstein!?!?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

How they leave out Einstein!?!?
I'm not sure if he was ever a vegetarian but if he was it was very late in his life. A couple of their choices are also very questionable. Wish they went with solid picks but I guess they wanted some big names over facts.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post

I'm not sure if he was ever a vegetarian but if he was it was very late in his life. A couple of their choices are also very questionable. Wish they went with solid picks but I guess they wanted some big names over facts.
He was. I don't think it matters when he became vegetarian...I'm more likely to drop his name than Pamela Anderson's. I have no respect for her, but tons for Einstein.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:

I used the term snail mail because I've seen and heard it used elsewhere, and I was trying to differentiate that type of mail from e-mail. It wasn't meant to offend anyone, but if I did, I apologize.
I have a deeply offended snail here that would like an apology for the term, "snail mail."

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Steve-O is on them
i found out about the stamps because i "like" him on facebook. the guy is cute, fun and a vegan! i <3 him

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Am I the only one who buys a book of stamps (because I need a few, and might need more), lose it, and buy another book in about 5 years? And then I just buy the plainest stamps possible just because I wouldn't want to mess up the ones that are "pretty".

Quote:

That term's fairly common in my town now.... granted it taking up to 2 days to get something mailed from someone next door doesn't help (they pick up mail, take it to Saint Louis, sort it there, ship it back to my town, sort it again, then deliver it. It used to be "pick up, sort on site, deliver" where something put in a mail slot before the PO opened could be delivered the same day if it was in-town). The post office people aren't happy about the change themselves.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

He was. I don't think it matters when he became vegetarian...I'm more likely to drop his name than Pamela Anderson's. I have no respect for her, but tons for Einstein.
I googled and it looks like he was vegetarian for the last year of his life. While I agree that we shouldn't get into contests about who is the biggest or best veg*n I think anyone can do it for a year. I respect Einstein more than Pamela Anderson but I respect what she has done for animal rights more than what he did. For 30 years he talked about the benefits of being a vegetarian and only one of those actually lived it. Great guy but not the one I'd put on an AR stamp. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I respect Pamela Anderson. She may have cashed on her big boobs (not that this bothers me persnally) but she doesn't seem like a bad person. I like her cause she seems to be a party person and did a lot of work for animals. She deserves all the respect in this area

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

I respect Pamela Anderson. She may have cashed on her big boobs (not that this bothers me persnally) but she doesn't seem like a bad person. I like her cause she seems to be a party person and did a lot of work for animals. She deserves all the respect in this area
I like Pamela Anderson and see no real reason not to respect her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts