VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling right now. I've also heard from others of how common depression after pregnancy can be. As you mentioned, I think that one of the hardest parts of depression is the feeling of isolation you get even when you have people around you that really care (such as your husband). I think also given your recent unrest with your family that I'm sure that's part of your pain right now. I've also had a similar experience of getting walked allover by my family, and when I finally stood up for myself, they became detached. I think it can really take people off guard when they are given their due, and I hope that with time your family will come back to you and recognize the validity of your opinions, and be able to be a support for you.

I'm sorry that I don't have more advice for you about working through your depression. I've been really struggling with it myself the past few months, and off and on the past two years. Mine is triggered to starting school, and working through trauma in my past. But I think what we do have in common, which I think is a common facet of much of depression, is situational stress and changes in life. Big changes in life tend to bring up a lot of stress to people who are vulnerable to it and can also bring up a lot of hidden feelings under the surface. What's frustrating about it is that during these moments you also have so much stress going on that it seems hard to deal with emotional needs. But I think it's kind of like our bodies way of letting us know we need to put our self care in priority (at least as much as we can) during these stressful life events.

My advice for you would follow along with everyone else's. I think just valuing yourself by taking time for yourself and seeking help either through counseling our group therapy is a really good idea. I agree with the others who said that sometimes the medical community can end up making you feel worse, because they aren't exactly trained in being sensitive to the problems we can face that aren't easily diagnosed or medically treated such as depression. Have you struggled with some depression in your past? And how has the medication been helping you/not helping you?

I think you should give yourself a big pat on the back for being a wonderful and strong mother, for recognizing your need for help right now, and for taking the step to seek help by making this post. You should take the day treating yourself to what you love for how far you've come along. Good luck to you, and I will make sure to keep you in my prayers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts