VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having sex unprotected during my period and maybe 2 days before or 2 days after under the assumption that since I am bleeding or about to, I can't get pregnant. It is now 7 days after my period and every morning, I wake up nauseated, with an upset stomach. The nausea persists in waves all day long, and its been like this for at least 5 days. So of course, all my roomates start saying "I'm pretty sure you're pregnant..." and now my boyfriend is freaking out thinking that I am pregnant, which I strongly doubt. However, I do want to know if its possible to get pregnant and notice the symptoms so soon. At the very least, I'd like a gallery of posts I can show him to prove that there is nothing to worry about right now, because he seems to be worried. And I guess maybe I am a little, too, even though I don't think there is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
It is possible to get pregnant at any day in your cycle. Really best to use protection all the time, preferably two forms, if you don't want kids right now.

That being said, one generally does not have symptoms of pregnancy before your first missed period.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Its not terribly common, but it is of course possible to get pregnant during your period. You can get pregnant whenever an egg is fertilized by a sperm, and although usually you do not ovulate while you are menstruating, unless you are doing something to really confirm that (like fertility charting) I wouldn't dare risk unprotected sex any time of your cycle.

That said - nausea 7 days after you have unprotected sex is not necessarily a pregnancy sign. Usually it takes a little longer to feel sick, but some women do feel sick that early (I did.) Go to the store and buy a pregnancy test, you can get one for $8 most places. Buy some condoms while you're there, or make an appointment to discuss birth control methods with your doctor. You shouldn't be having unprotected sex if you dont want to make a baby.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use condoms all the other days of the month. I know I should be using another method, but I can't find one that works in terms of hormonal birth control. I get so moody and depressed when I'm on them, and I have the most terrible yeast infections ever. It works, of course, because no one wants to have sex when their all yeasty, but obviously thats not a healthy situation.

I don't really think I am pregnant, and I'm guessing its way too early to pregnancy test it. But maybe towards the end of the month I will. I did want to know if it was possible because we won't keep doing it if it is.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It is possible, but the egg does not drop until about 14 days before your period starts. And it would only be possible if you ovulate "earlier" than "average" (14 days into the cycle)~

When the egg drops, it takes 7-10 days to implant, so you are talking about symptoms a few days before your period is due, if you were pregnant. Some women have no symptoms at all until after they are late or have a positive test.

I think it is VERY VERY early to have any nausea due to pregnancy, since you probably haven't even ovulated yet for this cycle.

And the Dollar Stores usually have tests. They are cheaper and accurate, but you'll have to wait until you are officially late to take one and have it be accurate.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with bekajoi in that its too early to take the test still, but really I'm quite sure you can ovulate anywhere in your cycle. I'm glad you use condoms otherwise, i would recommend using them whenever you have sex, unless you are certain of your ovulation pattern (which I'm sure some people who know about family planning can tell you about.)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You can always start charting your cycles, by taking your temperature or checking your cervical fluid/height/etc, and track it here: www.fertilityfriend.com

I do this, and that's why I say unless you have REALLY short cycles, it is unlikely that sex during your period will end in pregnancy. The average leutal phase (time from ovulation until period begins) is 14 days, and it is VERY unlikely that it is any longer than this, other than maybe by 2 days or so.

Your cycle starts on the first day of your period. CD1. End of period is around CD5-7. Ovulation is *usually* between day 12 and 17. If you have long cycles, it may be upwards of day 20. But once you ovulate, you have 2 weeks for your period to start.

So if you ovulate on cycle day 5, you would start your period on day 19. If you ovulate on day 14, you start your period on day 28. If you ovulate on day 24, you start your period on day 38.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yes but some people have defective luteal phases, or ovulate more than once.... which can make ovulation irregular. especially for the younger women, right? I am no expert i've just heard other preggie women talking, lol.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I can tell when I ovulate - and even though my cycles are pretty regular at around 26-28 days, I sometimes ovulate earlier than that average day 14. By that I mean around day 7-10. So unless you're SURE you weren't ovulating, there is the possibility you're pregnant. I'd advise you to use condoms until you know your cycle really well and can do your own Natural Family Planning.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Was your last period normal - normal length, normal amount of bleeding? If it was lighter than usual - you could have become pregnant last month and are just now showing symptoms. Lots of women have a "period" - although it's usually a light one - around the time they would normally as the egg attaches to the uterous. Get a test right away - might as well spend a few dollars and know for sure!

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is definately possible you are pregnant. I have heard of women that have become pregnant because they ovulated DURING their cycle. Oh, and BTW, I had morning sickness within the first week of pregnancy (I now exactly when I became pregnant.)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
here are some resources on charting beyond fertility friend:

Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer and Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Any given woman can ovulate at any point during her cycle, and everyone woman can chart her cycle to determine exactly when that is. A woman who "irregularly" ovulates or has an 'irregular' period can chart and know when she is fertile, and when she isn't.

the big caveat that is used in charting, though, is that mensus is an 'unchartable time.' you do chart it, but since you cannot chart the other fertility signals during this time, there's "no way to know" whether or not you're ovulating during your period. You can learn, via charting, whether you are ovulating before or after your period by understanding the fertility signals associated with ovulation.

Thus, having sex without a barrier during the mensus is not recommended when using charting to avoid pregnancy. mensus is treated as the 'fertile time' is treated. if you want to avoid pregnancy, you avoid sex or you utilize a barrier method (such as condoms, cervical caps or diaphrams).

good luck to you!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. I will look into this charting idea. It seems tedious but worth doing, at least for awhile to become more in touch with the whole system. Many people have mentioned that they ovulate in a certain way, but how in the world do you know?

For the record, my last period was heavy but short. I think it was only 3 days- its usually 5-6- but I noticed I bled about as heavily as normal during these days.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
there are three signals that one looks for when charting--cervical fluid, cervical placement, and basal body temperature. when you have cervical fluid present, you're fertile. when it's not present, and all other 'standards' have been met (so many hours after temperature spike, for example), then you are not fertile.

it's really quite simple. and, not at all tedious. it takes about 2 minutes a day in total effort, 2-3 weeks to learn the process, a few months to get the observations consistant. then, you have a system that--when followed exactly--has the same success/failure rate as hormonal birth control options.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, it's a bit more complicated than cervical fluid's presence... it's always present, it is the super slippery stuff, and a lot of it, that is the thing to look for.

For ME, I know I am about to ovulate when my cervical fluid is abundant, and really slippery. The cervix goes to a high position (hard to reach), and gets soft, like lips. I also cramp when I ovulate, so that helps a bit. (more cramping these days due to my IUD and the fact that it shifts when the cervix dialates a little for ovulation)

It's really simple and doesn't take much time at all. You take your temperature in the morning and check cervix/fluid when you use the restroom first thing in the morning. Wash up, and write it down or log it in. Done for the day.

The key, if you are using it as a form of birth control (and not just to learn your fertility signs/cycles), is to avoid sex ANY TIME the fertile fluid is present, or use protection during that time. Unprotected sex at this point is VERY likely to lead to pregnancy.

And if you need help "reading" your chart, just set up your home page on Fertility Friend and post your link and we can help. I'm pretty good at reading them now, as I've been charting for 3+ years.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ditto to what all the others said about taking a pg test. It's 8 bucks, and could set your mind at ease.

wrt birth control...have you thought about a cap/diaphragm? We're just starting with this method, but so far it's been pretty great. It's fairly inexpensive and not too intrusive, since you can put it in ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.