VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just discovered my cat has a clump of hair missing on her neck, the size of a half-dollar coin. I have never seen this before & am trying to figure out what it could be from. It's right around where her collar is but it doesn't seem to be a factor. She is an indoor cat & around 8 yrs old.

I know this is grasping at straws, but can't afford the vet presently & want to be sure it's not something I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
907 Posts
One of my cats has skin problems, but she's always had skin problems.

Lately she's been itchy and actually pulling her own fur out when she scratches... got so bad at one point that she was cutting herself. The vet gave her something and she's getting better now, he said it was probably an allergy to something, so trying different foods etc now.

Maybe keep an eye to see if yours is scratching a lot?

Sorry can't be much help!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Does it look like there's any irritation on the area? Are there any places in your house she could've been getting into where her fur could've got caught & pulled out?

I agree to keep an eye and see if she's scratching a lot, because it could be an allergy. Have you recently switched her food or shampoo or been using a different type of home product around the house?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I haven't seen her scratch much at all. No more than the occasional itch I guess. I haven't changed her food or done anything of the sort either.

The area isn't red or flaky or anything so it doesn't look bad at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My friends have a cat that has this problem.

We all think it was one of those flea treatments that are applied to the back of the neck that irritated the area and caused the hair/fur to fall out.

It doesn't seem to bother the cat, but it is kind of unsightly to the rest of us.

Maybe that's what happened with your cat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi nkace - is that your cat in the profile pic? She's gorgeous! It could just be a minor skin complaint or irritation. Is she on regular flea treatment?

I wouldn't want to suggest she has ringworm (especially without seeing her!), but it is worth getting checked out. It can be easily treated by a vet. I know you mentioned you can't afford the vet at present (believe me, I'm a veterinary nurse & I know how expensive it is!) but maybe you could drop by your local vet and just have a chat with them about it.

All the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.